Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta - what a sleepy med

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I started taking Cymbalta and had the lyrica decreased I was supposed to start at 30 mg/day but they come in capsules and I couldn't cut it in half as my Dr wanted me to try 30mg for 2 weeks then move up to 60mg. I think it's helping with the leg pain but it knocks me right out. Does the side effects go away after awhile? Thanks if you're taking the med. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Lyrica makes me feel like a zombie and high (I think since I've never been high) at the same time. My PM wanted me to take one at night then add one in the morning then go to 2 at night and just one in the morning. Can't do that. Didn't really notice Cymbalta making me really sleepy. Kind of strange since I'm super sensitive to drowsiness in meds. My pm kind of grumbled one day because of my sensitivity. Like I can change it. jeez

I take Provigil every morning so I can take my pain meds and stay awake. Provigil is normally used by people with Narcolepsy. It helps me with daytime sleepiness and my insurance is covering it so I'm going to stick with it for now. Maybe it would help you too.
  • charry,
    I was taking Cymbalta after my second surgery to deal with nerve pain. I was taking 30mg at night and 30mg during the day. It did help with the pain, but like you I wanted to sleep all the time, after 8 weeks my nerve pain had lessoned and I was able to slowly get off of it. The doctor told me my body would get used to it but it never did. It was a good med to help me over the hump so to speak. Good luck and hope things get better.