Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Straining to void and bm

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all.

I have a question, I was put on morphine about 4wks ago, 5mg sulf. and now having trouble voiding my bladder and bowel without heavy straining.

About 9days ago I went to the ER for the voiding my bladder issue and all they did was give me two glasses of juice to drink then an hour later come in and ask if I thought I felt like I could empty my bladder... well I did but not without straining. They said that was fine as long as I could void....so I had not had a bm for the past 5 days..yesturday it was just excrusiating so I got a laxative and took the recommended dose..nothing all day then last night all night I had cramps and slowly was able to pass most of the stool. Today I am home sick because my stomach feels like someone used it as a punching bag. I have not taken any morphine since yesturday as I do not want to repeat. Anyone else have this issue of straining for results of bladder and bowel?

Thanks

History: Live in Canada, do not have FP so have to go to the ER for care, x-ray in 08 showed severe DDD of L4/L5, referred to Orhto surgeon Feb-09, MRI 5-09 still do not have results
advertisement

Comments

• causes constipation. After the PCA pump in hopsital I didn't have a BM for 5 days, needed laxative to help.
    I now use oxynorm and this is just as bad. I use a stimulatant laxative which helps and I eat bran every day.
    The softener ones are useless.

However, altered bladder and bowels are also a symptom of CES, so be careful and seek advice.
  • I had the same problem like you .I went with out mv
    for a very long time , but this is what am doing now and is working for me , because all the medication that we take our body is like bomb maid of toxics.I bought a detox kit used for two weeks
    and i am taking fiber.if you want tryed good lock keep me posted.no laxative it wont work
    it has to be detox
  • I was forewarned about having severe constipation with my pain meds, when I was signing my discharge papers in the hospital last November. They recommended taking stool softeners every day, but they really don't work for me.

My PM recommended fish oil capsules and I take 3 of those a day. (There are other benefits to fish oil, so I've decided to implement them into my diet, along with my daily vitamins). The fish oil helps a little, but not as much as I need to keep regular.

I have found that eating a bowl of Cheerios every day, has helped. Anything with bran will help, but you need to consume it on a daily basis. I also drink 3 little bottles of DanActive probiotic dairy yogurt drinks every day and 2 containers of flavored yogurt. Something about the yogurt, really helps with the bladder and also the bowels. A fellow spiney friend swears by prune juice, but that stuff makes me gag... lol. If I was really desperate, I would plug my nose and drink some every day... to see if it worked.

Overall, the more water you drink... the better. I drink at least five, 32oz containers of water every day. (The hospital gave me these cool 32oz plastic drinking cups, so I measure my water consumption by drinking out of those).

I have limited my starch consumption and that has also helped.

I battled with constipation the first few weeks I was on pain medication and have had to adjust my diet, accordingly. When I was severely constipated, it did affect the flow of my urine.

Good luck to you!

Tammy