Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolisthesis Grade 2 - Need Some Advice

signavyssignavy Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Need some advice - Since September 08 I have been dealing with pain/discomfort associated with a fairly large L5 disc herniation along with a grade II spondylolisthesis L5 over S1. I have seen an Ortho Surgeon and Neuro Surgeon - both have offered to do a Fusion when I was ready. Meaning the pain/discomfort and/or life restrictions have finally got the best of me. The worst part of the pain - muscle spasms has passed as I have been taking Mobic, Nuerontin, Valium and sometimes Tramadol since December 08. At present I am feeling the slippage of the L5 over the S1 during certain movements - it is not generating horrible pain. I am also feeling frequent numbness and tingling in both legs and enduring major life restrictions as I am very careful not to move a certain way that would cause pain or discomfort. I find myself asking the question - why I haven't signed up for surgery yet? Well I am meeting with the Ortho Surgeon tomorrow and wanted to know if there was anyone out there that has had an L5/S1 Fusion (ALIF or PLIF) for grade II spondy and if you could share your experience - hopefully positive. I read so so many horror stories, but I can't imagine living with this discomfort/pain without pursuing additional treatment - especially with a spinal stability issue.

I have been doing PT (core/stability) exercises for about four months and while I thinnk it has helped - it has not put me where I'd like to be as 39 yr old father of three kids. I feel like my life restrictions is affecting the entire family as well. Please share your story - thanks. Mike

• hi im from england and im a spondy 3. im having a fusion with cage in 3months time our sytem is your put on a waiting list it was 4 months long iv been on a month so i got 3 left. for me the 3 months carnt go fast inuf. iv been sufering mega pain for 2 yrs and 6 months. here in england they wont give u an op unless your spondy grade 3 or 4. but my advice to u is this if u can av the op have it because u could slip that bit further and end up a 3 or worse 4 and belive me the pain from 3 is terrable its ruins your life. i could go into all my symtoms but dont wont to boar u to death lol. just trust me when i say if u think its bad now u wont no whats hit u if u slip that bit further get the op dont take the chance good look tready
  • Hi Signavy

I had PLIF for the same condition exactly a year ago this week. I was 42 at the time of surgery and was getting more pain every day. I had Isthmic spond and DDD and even a sneeze would cause a massive pain.

The most sucess from a PLIF comes when used to fix this very condition. If the slip is any greater then the sucess rate falls.
    Ive read several medical papers and did my own research before going under the knife.
    I had a very good surgeon and was sent through the public health system here in Australia.

I can say that for me it has been a great sucess, but its a long recovery.
    You can pm me if you need more info.