Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello...Another Newbie Here!! & Nervous about more Sx

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
I am so glad I found your community. You all give such a great sense of togetherness it is very refreshing!

Last summer I had an 'emergency' disectomy of my L5S1. After the surgery the docter told me that the herniation was worse than originally thought and that eventually I would likely need to have a fusion.

I live in a small ski town in CO and went to Ohio for my Surgery. After going back for a follow up last month I was told that a fusion is what I need. I am nervous about more surgery but he predicts that without it I would have a hard time carrying a baby, something I would like to do in the semi- near future. I am so confused about what to do!

I trust my docter but also realize that he is a surgeon and that is what he is always going to suggest. Is there anyone who has had a similar diagnosis and found great relief after going through with it? He wants to do it from the front as well as the back...Any suggestions?



  • By the way my name is Heather...still getting used to posting...
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories
  • That is really a decision that you and your doc are going to have to make but I do commend you for doing your research. I also need a fusion but have opted to hold out as long as I possibly can. There are no guarantees with any surgery and once complete it can not be reversed. I am also past the child bearing years so I am not sure what I would decide if I were in your shoes. One thing that I would always do before any surgery is to get at least a second and maybe even a third opinion. Also it will be very important to check your surgeon out as thouroughly as possible if you opt to go that route. I wish you luck and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps a second opinion is what you need. :? they may give you another option!! good luck with whatever road you travel. :D Jenny :)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

    Welcome tho Spine-health forum. You will find plenty of support and information to help you decide what decision to take.
    Take care

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
Sign In or Register to comment.