Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i feel so down today

mrs pmmrs p Posts: 230
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Depression and Coping
i feel so down today.

no idea.

today i feel like putting my coat on walking and walking.....

.....yes and i feel the want to never return home but then i think about my family and know that i MUST come back.

these days dont come around very often for me but today im at an all time low.

and yes im crying.....and yet again no reason to cry.

• Mrs. P,

I'm sorry that you're having a bad day. Sometimes taking a short drive alone helps me with those moods. Sometimes it's a hot bath or a manicure/pedicure. Sometimes we just need to ride them out and remember that with each new day comes new outlooks. Don't blame yourself for feeling bad or beel guilty for crying. We have a natural need to let our emotions out.

If there is anything that you need to talk about please feel free to PM me. I'm back on the boards and ready to help again.

• Maybe taking a walk is just the thing to do. Get out and 'feel' the outside world for a few minutes or an hour.

Is there a river, stream or pond you can get to and walk along/around? Water is a great 'recharger' (IMHO), the ocean is best!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Paula

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so low, I hope you feel better about things soon.

You know I am there for you if you want to chat

Take care
    Liz xx

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Darn it paula. You should have told me you were feeling so low when we chatted for a bit before I finally crawled in bed. (yes I'm scolding you my friend). I was up and down after that, didn't really sleep at all, and I could have spent my time chatting with you rather than fighting the pain. I am always here if you need me. Just tell me you need to talk. I'll check in throughout the day and tonight. In the meantime, I hope the long walk did the trick and you are feeling a little more "up". Sorry for your pain today.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I truly hope that you feel better throughout the day. Think of the things that make you the happiest and most at peace. Sending you big hugs
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I'm sorry you're feeling so down today. We've all had those days and know how hard it is - that's why we hurt when we know one of our fellow spineys is have a rough time.

We're here for you and I'm sending a big, but gently, hug.

Take care of yourself and cry it out if you need to. It might help a little.
  • Just be careful! It may be exactly what you need. Get out and get some fresh air.

I know exactly how you feel, I have been all emotional for no reason for days. I finally think I got a handle on mine, not that there is anything wrong with that! I think my problems were/are linked to a mix of Ambien/Benedryl/depression...

I dumped the two meds and now I get whole 5 hours sleep a night, wow... I am very tired, but the depression/crying/ect is better. I guess I will just have to watch more TV...

I hope you feel better, soon.
  • Aww Paula...I had no idea you were feeling so down, liz just told me there now in chat....xoxoxox, Im sending you lots and lots of hugs,I know your so down I can almost feel it from your post AND you havent signed off with love p oxo and that just isnt you!...but Paula its ok, its ok to want to put on that coat and just walk hey your doing better than me with the coat thing i wouldnt care when im feeling that low feeling to go walking in my pyjamis lol[trying to make you laugh :))( >:D< but on a serious note it is an awful feeling....I think you know sometimes it all just gets to much and we get emotionally drained and we end up just crashing....and yes feeling the way you do....and its not nice, not nice at all..BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

yo cant let it beat you, it will if you let it, come on paula let it go let it all go >:D< tomorrows a new day,YOUR IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS xoxoxo!
    you dont need the white coats just yet lol xxx :*
  • Paula I am sorry your feeling down! I have those days myself! Its just what we do with it or about it, that makes us strong! Don't cry it will all be alright you just need some time to be alone probably not to think but to be alone! Sometimes things are just too overwhelming for us and we just need time to get ourselves together. I know I sure do~ A walk or a drive might do you some good!

Take care feel better,
    with love and xoxoxoxoxo
  • Paula hope days like this are far and few between. I know when you hit rock bottom you feel so hopeless and helpless. I have been there...but somehow when we get back up and brush ourselves off life looks a little brighter.. I always have felt better after a good hard cry...cleanses the soul. Be strong Paula don't be hard on yourself...be thankful for your children and husband and know that they need you. All your spiney friends need you also...do walk off that desperate depressive feeling.

Many Blessings to you Paula :H Cynthia
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Hi Paula, I wish there was a way to identify those down days in advance and when/if they come there is a simple remedy to get you back on feet and back to normal (realizing that most Spinal Patients have a different measurement)
    When ever I get these types of days, I try to reach back into my bag of tricks that can help me get by.
    My bag has so many different things, but I do believe that overall, some relaxation music, glass of wine, sitting in the HotTub, Aroma Therapy, all outside of the normal scope of spinal treatments.
    Each of us have different ways to overcome those negative days.
    I also wish that your current down day does not last that long and its to be replaced by something much happier and more pain free.

Your contributions to Spine-Health has been so widely accepted and appreciated. So, lets just hope that Spine-Health with its large member data base could help you through this time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PAULA, hang in there. I used to get those type of days a lot and often times it would last for a long duration. These days I rarely get them and when I do I ususally work myself out of them in just a couple of days. Most of us have been there and know what you are feeling.

You just have to hang in there and always keep in mind that you will pull out of it. I know it sounds like a broken record, but just holding on and knowing one day soon you will have a better outlook on things is key. If you cant figure out how to change your outlook now, thats fine, just make sure you are striving for that.

And as all of us spineys should know; pain, meds, lack of sleep etc. means that we have to deal with this issues more than most people and we need to be aware of this. The worst eppisodes are the one that catch you off guard. Think about possible meds, or life change that may have influenced this and just pray and hold on.

Love you Paula and hang in there, or I will have to come over there an kick your butt...........Mitch

• i have to say i truly appreciate all your replies......you lot made me cry again!!!
    i am on the way up and feeling a bit better today.
    i went to my mums house yesterday and decide to weed her driveway....and believe me that sure helped put me in a better frame of mind....the rain came pouring down and i kept working away it was a great feeling!!
    things have been tough financialy around here lately and i know so many off you understand that.i just recently told my mother this and deer love her she helps me out as much as she can she splipped me £10 yesterday and told me to go but myself something so i said to her ill get a packet off cigarettes her response being "NO NO NO!!! DONT DO THAT!!",so instead i bought myself a nice bottle off West Coast Cooler brought it home,put it in the freezer forgot clean about it!!,got up this morning to an exploded bottle!!! so in other words mother didnt allow me to have that either lol...but anyhow it was just so nice off my mum to do that for me she knows that i spend everything i have on the kids so that was her own special way of looking out for me.
    and whilst on the subject off kids thats probably why i wasnt in great form either.my two girls had serious exams yesterday and i was so worked up worrying about them.
    kiera (18) is heading to uni in sept and this is one of her final exams before leaving school and it was so important to her that she recieves a good grade which i have no doubt at all she will get.BUT..... kiera is a child that needs help during revision times and the subject is religon....well if i ever hear another story about Lukes Gospel i think i will explode!!!!...im telling you those stories are engraved in my head!!!
    then we have Ash (16) well life is just a doddle for her she just takes everything in her stride!!!
    great kid but i honestly dont know were she got that personality from lol...wish i was like her!!!
    i suppose this is what being a mum off teenagers is all about....and i know so many off you are in the same boat.
    i do have a son also Conor who is coming 12 at the minute he is no bother but he is changing schools in september so i suppose ill start the worrying time all over again then!!
    as some of you know i came off the lyrica back in janurary of this year but had some emotional set backs a few weeks back and started upon them again,once again i was trying to wean myself off them and i think that this has not helped with the "feeling down factor".
    i do believe they are a great drug but they dont help the weight!!
    as well as helping the nerve pain i feel as if they stabilize me emotionally.
    once again i thank you all for you kind and thoughtful replies it goes a long way when you know so many genuinally care for you.
    im sorry for going into so much details here with this post but i felt as though you all needed an explainaition as to why i was feeling in such a bad way yesterday....you all took the time to reply....so i felt that it only fair to show my gratitude in return.
    my mood has lifted a great deal but im still not myself but working hard on it!!!
    i hope you all have a great day and im sending good vibes your way.

love to you all

LOVE P
    love to you all
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi paula

Lovely to know you are feeling a bit better, I am glad you ended up at your mum's home and she was able to give you the support you needed. I am sure she also appreciated the weeded garden too. LOL
    So you see how much everybody cares, we hope to see you back chatting soon.

Love Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Paula,

We haven't met yet, but I can so understand your feelings. I'm the mom of two boys (20 and 22) and they sure put me through the wringer for a few years!

Even moms who don't have chronic pain have their down moments, so don't feel bad about feeling blue when you are under a lot of stress. I think you did the right thing by stepping away for a few hours and getting a break from the tension.

I also find pulling weeds very relaxing. (I only do balcony gardening now, so I get my enjoyment out of snipping and clipping the dead parts off the plants.) It's a physical exercise that accomplishes something positive and truly takes you away from the day-to-day stuff.

I'm also in your corner if you ever need a shoulder to cry on. We ALL do sometimes!

In fact, reading the posts of all these other folks cheered me up too!

Big hugs,

• You poor thing, sorry to hear you were down in the dumps, I know how you feel, I have those moments of bursting into tears for no reason at all.

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.

As usual I am a week behind everyone else! Catch you soon my little chumblie.