Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All

Humble_PieHHumble_Pie Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Newbie here. Although I haven't posted here yet, I have received tremendous amouts of information, support, and strength from these forums so I wanted to give a big Thanks to everyone.

I have had 2 fusions on my neck in the past 2 years.

C4-C5 Fused
C6-C7 Fused

Probably be getting C5-C6 this year.

Severe Narrowing at C4-C5
Disk Bulge at C4-C5

Moderate - Severe Bilateral Stenoses C3-C4, C5-C6
Disk at C4-C5

Moderate - Severe Bilateral Stenosis at L4-L5, L5-S1
Large Bulge L4-L5

Just had Rizotomy on right side at L4-L5 L5-S1

Currently taking 150mg 2x/day Lyrica / day, 15mg Mobic, Celexa (Which isn't working. Tried Paxil before.), Oxycodone 15 - 30 4x day (Just started and I think I'm gonna try something else. Zombie City!) Tizanidine 4mg 3x / day, trazadone at night.

I'll get the official information when I get it in front of me and see if I can figure out to put it in my signature since it seems thats what people do on here.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello and welcome! You've got quite the history already and if I might ask...how did you fare with the ACDF surgeries?? The reason I ask, is that I'm scheduled for a C6/C7 ACDF on June 1st and am hoping that it brings relief...restoring the use of my left arm (from the 50% it's at right now), and reducing all of the associated pain to at least a tolerable level.

Complicating my issue is that I'd waited almost 3 years before seeking help, just being a stubborn man I guess and thinking that I could "tuff it out."

I see that you're taking Celexa and I would imagine that's for what they see as depression..I lasted all of 10 days on it since it was making me feel like a complete (and emotionless) Zombie! They switched me to Zoloft and I lasted 3 days...that stuff is all nasty if you ask me.

Welcome once again and visit often, this is a great place to get lots of advice and encouragement!

Jeff
  • First off, I probably would have never had surgery being the person I am but I had lost almost all function of my left arm and had muscle deterioration of my left tricep, peck, lat and shoulder up to 80%. Once the genius (cough, cough, sarcasm) doctor I was seeing finally got an mri that I demanded he do and looked at the atrophe I noticed, he had me in contact with one of the top neurosurgeons (Dr. Blake Welling for you folks in Utah) in 2 days. It usually takes about 3 - 4 months to schedule an appt with this guy. I was on the operating table in less than 2 days having a ACDF on C6-C7. Needless to say, I received a HUGE amount of relief and things went very well.
    Bout a year and a half later, I was doing some work on with a front end loader and was backing with my head turned behind me. Hit the brakes which were a bit touchy and heard and felt a big pop. Nedless to say, it was a feeling I was quite familiar with. I got the mri done the next week and took them straight to my neuro who promptly had me on the table again. This time for C4-C5. The surgery seemed a success as it relieved the main pain and gave the strength back in my left arm again. Unfortunately, I was experiencing all sorts of new pain and EXTREME sickness, like a horrible bout with the flu for 6 straight weeks. I literally thought I was going to die. Since I had been seeing his P.A., and couldn't get a visit directly with him, I kept seeing her for this matter. All she would tell me was that she didn't know what was wrong and stand there in uncomfortable silence until I felt like I was expected to leave. I soon started having problems with my incision as it wouldn't heal (I'm a very fast healer) and the sutures started pushing out from the inside. These are the ones that are supposed to dissolve but were having none of it in my case. Everythig went smooth as glass the first surgery.
    Needless to say, this was in September and it is now May and my lower back is acting up terribly and I am having all sorts of pain issues from my shoulder blades to the base of my skull with severe burning running up my spine and up the back of my head, headaches, etc. I finally went and got an mri of my lower back and it shows severe problems at L4-L5 and L5-S1 which I have probably always had but never had trouble with until after my ACDF on L4-L5.
    Would I recommend it? After my first, I would say definitely. After my second, I would probably take a hot poker to the eye. Big problem is that I'm showing serious problems now at C5-C6 and C3-C4 and my body just feels like it isn't healing for lack of a better term. I'm not sure what I will do myself.
    Find a competent neurosurgeon and flip a quarter. Then pray a whole lot.

Hope I didn't scare you too bad.

HP
  • Just a fellow spiney welcoming you to the site... WELCOME!!!

Much love,
    Lisa
This discussion has been closed.