Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery coming up fast!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,

I thought that I had my nerves under control. Normally I don't let things worry me but this surgery has me a bit intimadated. I see my neurosurgeon tomorrow (05/22/09) for the final talk then I leave his office to go to the hospital to visit the anesthesialogist. Surgery will be Monday June 1st with arrival time at the hospital at 6:00am. I am having posterior fusion and instrumentation on C3-C7. At my last appointment Dr. Finger said that they may have to fuse C2-T1 to stabilize. The question I can't seem to get answered is How much mobilaty will I have after the surgery? Good grief they are fusing my whole neck!! The Dr. says that I will be able to nod yes and no and that I would loose some mobility. But how far I will be able to turn my head? I know that I will be in the hospital for at least three days. I am so used to being on the go I don't know if I will be able to handle the down time. I will not be able to drive till he removes the neck brace. My hubby will have to go back to work and I will be strandid at home. I don"t really care for tv all that much I never turn the TV on. I like to read but for the most part I work with my two Dobes and my horse. Since I do not have classes starting back up till August I am going to miss riding the whole summer.Does any one have any answers? Maybe I am more stressed about this surgery then I thought.

• I completely identify with not wanting to be cooped up. It drove me nuts not being able to drive for a month. Thankfully, I was in a soft collar and am weaning off of it now but I still wear it when I drive.

As far as mobility, there are no guarantees because everyone's body is different. I had c4 to c7 fused and I definately have range of motion. Actually better than before my surgery. It does feel a little wierd but it's ok. Mine was anterior though. I don't know if posterior changes that.

Hang in there. Realize that it will hurt a little but man, it was so worth it to me! I am better than I have been in 7 years. God Bless!
  • I too am having the same surgery as you with a bit more. posterior C3 thru T1 and then anterior C3 thru T1. both sides this coming Tuesday. I did ask my OS about ROM. He told me that I would have good ROM up and down but looking over the shoulder would not be the greatest. I feel that this is something that you will ajust to. I'm a golfer and I was afraid I would not be able to golf. He told me I may even be better than i am right now. This is a plus for me. I'm scared to. but I don't like the feelings I'm experiencing with arm pain and weakness or the legs being jittery all the time. I don't want permanent damage. I am going to go into this with a positive attitude knowing that I will feel better than ever eventually!! Keep your chin up. we'll all be fine. we will. I'm with ya!!