Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hand numbness and (closed) MRI results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have had numbness in my left hand and arm continuously for about 3 mths. Numbness that goes and comes on right hand and arm. I had an MRI done of my neck thinking it could be spine related, here are the results:

cervical disks mildly desiccated with mild increased Signal at C2-3, C3-4, C4-5, C5-6, AND C6-7. There is a mild posterior disc bulge at C5-6. There is no focal disc herniation or spinal stenosis. The spinal cord is normal in signal intensity.

Impression:Mild disc bulge at C5-6. No focal disc herniation.

So, where do I go from here? Why am I numb? What tests do I need done now?

• I have the same symptoms and my MRI said disc material abutting the spinal cord moderately at C5/6 and some at C6/7 with spinal stenosis.

When I saw the neurologist, he pointed out several axial views where my nerve roots were being blocked off and a large bone spur that was not noted on the report. The bone spur is poking into my spinal cord. He also pointed out a herniation that was not mentioned. My EMG/NVS showed that I have C5/6 related nerve damage and just a hair of carpal tunnel in my right wrist. My shoulder blades and upper back have been killing me with some spots like a knife. My neck also hurts like that too.

Just saying that the MRI report doesn't always state everything, the views don't show everything either, and if you are continuing to have issues, you need to pursue seeing a surgeon just for a consult.

The neurologist that I saw made it plain that if I don't have something done fairly soon, that I was going to have permanent loss of use. Not to scare you, but a disc bulge in the cervical area is more of concern and can cause more symptoms than the lumbar area. The spinal cord is tighter at the neck, there is more movement, and anything that is bulging out is a problem. You might just need a disc trim - minor surgery to relieve the problem.
  • janetatum, thank-you for your replies. My primary Dr. is aware of my numbness. I am 43, and my body is just wearing out! I have had 3 Arthroscopic surgeries, a partial knee replacement and finally a total knee replacement. (I would never recommend a replacement without doing the homework first!, I think it only helps like 40 percent of knees done)Had I done homework first, the replacement surgeries would have never happened. (left knee). Seventeen years ago while preg. with my last child, I had a tumor on my left ovary that did not want to shrink and go away on it's own, so the tumor had to be removed, as well as the ovary because the tumor encased the ovary. (16 weeks preg.) Broke my left arm and wrist in an automobile accident in 1990. Getting way off track here, normal for me, LOL

Today it seems as if the pinkie and ring finger is more numb than normal.

In 2005, I had an MRI of my cervical spine due to neck pain. that result was mild bulging at C5/6 I believe. I was sent to physical therapy along with massage therapy. The massage therapist said that I had about 2 inches of neck muscle jammed tight. I was diagnosed with Chronic Muscle Tension in 2000.
    I take a ton of pills with little relief (probably because I can not take them as described and still function)

Neurontin 3x daily (can't take but at bedtime) this was added when the numbness started
    Flexeril 3 x day (usually only take at bedtime, but the last 2 days I have taken it twice a day.
    Lorcet every 4-6hrs prn (take at bedtime only most of the time.
    Phenergan 50mg. to keep the others from making me sick
    Flurazepam also fairly new, given for insomnia and hot flashes at night. (My ins. only covers this med for 14 days at a time, which is a real pain, the pharmacy I use is in the same building as my Dr. in the next town.

candle99 , thank you also for replying. I had the test done for carpal tunnel in 2005 along with my first Cervical MRI. They'll not do that to me again! They had better find another method than electrocuting me!

Not sure what I am willing to have done right now. I am very leery due to the blotched knee surgeries.
  • I would no doubt get and EMG done, and make sure it is done by someone who specializes in EMGs. Not to many Dr.s trust the results from them anymore. If that is not very clear what is wrong than I would do a CT myelogram after that so you have done all test for nerves. I had the horrible mistake of a Dr. doing an incorrect EMG and they ended up fusing a disc in neck in stead of doing carpel tunnel surgery. Now i am having another fusion done when I didn't even need the 1st.

Please keep us up dated as to what the end results are.

P.s I would not cut your hair if there are no evidence of disc or nerve compression from neck.
  • I had an EMG done by a Neurologist/Psychiatrist. I really don't know if I can go through that again! (And I've endured 2 microscopic knee surgeries, partial knee replacement, total knee replacement, childbirth x2, ovary removed while 4mths pregnant, can't think what else, but I know there is more)

There has got to be a more humane way to test than that.
    I will ask my Dr. about the CT myelogram.
    After reading up on the Myelogram, that is not gonna happen.
    1. I have Scoliosis, so the dye may be prevented from reaching the cervical area.
    2. In 1986, I watched my husband suffer from a spinal headache due to an ER dr trying to test for Meningitis. He punctured 17 times before he was successful in getting any spinal fluid. My husband was at the ER because he had taken a fall at work and tumbled down a hill with a portable welder. He had injured his shoulder. He had a low-grade fever 99.2 and 1 mosquito bite on his forehead, that was the Dr's justification for the test. He went home and did the bed rest as told, but every time he sat up or stood up he was in severe pain. He ended up back at the ER and was admitted. After about three days, they finally figured out what was wrong and they did a blood patch. He never fully recovered from that incident and has been on disability since 1993. (The hospital records claim he was admitted for pneumonia, we were not aware of that until we requested the records for his disability hearing).
    Maybe I'll just request the CT.

Have a blessed day, and ty for taking the time to respond. I need to get my rear in gear and get some things done before the wedding.