Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy L5/S1 yesterday!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had a discectomy at L5/S1 yesterday at 4pm.Discharged today at 3pm.So far so good.I'll keep you posted! :)

• Be very careful that you do not get carried away and end up overdoing it. One of the biggest problems with this surgery is that people feel so good right after that they don't pay attention to their doctor's instructions and they do too much or the wrong thing.

Remember to avoid any activity involving bending, twisting, reaching overhead or even to either side...move your body to the object rather than trying to reach for it...do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk...drink lots of water...avoid riding in the car -- don't take the dog for a walk...you don't want anything pulling on your arm.

Just take it easy and enjoy the fact that you are feeling better!
  • Glad you are feeling well Ian. Keep us updated on your recovery. :)))

And - thank you gwennie17! I appreciate reading what to NOT do after surgery. I'm glad you stated some obvious things.
  • Gwennie's advice as always, is perfectly on target. Pay attention to what she said...careful attention. Its so freaking nice to have that horrid nerve pain gone that the incision sight doesn't feel at all bad in comparison, and feels normal for what you expected, really, so you feel pretty good. Be careful. Be nice to you.
  • Excellent nights sleep,a good 10 hours,it obviously helps not being in an NHS ward and woken every two hours to have your BP taken.Leg feels good and managed to get out for a short walk last night.Bit of mild discomfort around the incision but thats to be expected.Still not taking any pain killers.Onwards and upwards.
  • Another good nights sleep.Walked out to get a paper this morning.A few tingling sensations in my left foot and ankle...there was nothing there before just numbness so I guess thats a progress of sorts.
  • Having a positive outlook helps with recovery and it seems like you are not having problems in that department. Just make sure you are using proper body mechanics like squatting to pick up your paper.

Great to hear another success story! I am 7 weeks out from my microdiscectomy at L5 S1 and doing great so far.

Keep posting!
  • Ahhhhh..... the Honeymoon! :D

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Another cracking nights sleep.Managed to shower and dry myself fully without assistance this morning.Ankle and foot feeling less tingly today.

I have a back problem that I guess I will just have to learn to live with,and in the main I think I have.My L5/S1 disc is prone to instability which occasionally leads me to spasm or herniation.I'm 6ft1 and 14st.I lost over 3st in 2003(stopped drinking for a year too) and took up yoga in an attempt to improve my fitness,flexibility,posture and general health.I have kept the weight off and all round I am much fitter and healthier for it.However I had a severe herniation in Oct 2007 which left me with severe pain down my left buttock,thigh,calf and foot.Although most of the pain had gone it left me with occasional severe muscle cramps in my calf as well as atrophy.I decided on a microdiscetomy to correct that situation and give me the best possible chance of rebuilding my left leg muscles.I in no way see it as a "cure" for my back problem.

Having read lots of negative posts re m/d's on here I thought I would post my own experience.I was seriously thinking of not going ahead with it after some of the things I read.However I considered that if I did not at least try to improve my situation then I would regret it.Sometimes you just have to "suck it and see".Onwards and upwards! ;)
  • Just had my dressing changed by the practice nurse,who informed me that my incision is tiny, which was good to hear.A few twinges in my calf last night but all gone now.
  • Glad all is going well for you. I had a L5/S1 micro D almost 9 months ago. While the nerve is healing, you should expect weird leg stuff for a while, at least the next 3-6months. New tingles, unprovoked pains, and strange numbness to name a few. The surgery is great for relieving leg symptoms, but not a miracle fix for back problems (sounds like to are already aware of that). The naysayers who oppose the microD usually have a disc that is tolerable to them, so they in turn think everyone should be able to tolerate the discomfort. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that say I shouldn't have gotten the surgery. Well, when your tripping over your own feet because your foot doesn't want to cooperate with the rest of your body, or you dread getting out of bed because as soon as you stand up your disc smushes into that nerve again, and the shooting pain cycle starts all over again...well thats when I decided to have my surgery. Its not for everyone, but I'm glad I got mine.

In any case, I wish you well in your recovery and take it easy for a while, even if you feel ready for action. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Thanks Tony....Your good wishes are greatly appreciated.

Feeling good today and generally more mobile.I have been told to refrain from driving for six weeks.Is this normal and has anyone been told that they could drive sooner?
  • This time last week I was having my operation.Still feeling good and very happy with my progress to date.Will start posting weekly now instead of daily.Unless I get any problems of course.Thanks to those that have passed on their good wishes. :H
  • I sound like a broken record...but please remember to take it easy and not push it, especially when you are feeling good. More people get into trouble this way than any other. Give yourself a couple more weeks before you start any of those daredevil activities!
  • Had the dressing off today.Wound healed nicely.Scar quite tiny.Getting stronger each day and very happy with the result. ;)
  • Hi Ian,

That's really "sick"! (That's teenager speak for "that's great!" here in the states)

Keep those good reports coming!

Best regards,

Mom to 2 teens and 1 mean cat.
    Blown L-5 S-1 disc, five months of hell so far.