Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How long is the average time for recovery? Can you ever walk normally again?
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry, still recovering...hoping I will walk normal again...
    Ann

2 level PLIF L4, L5 S1
    decompression and laminectomy too!
  • forgot probably the most important detail...my surgery was 2/17/09
  • on a lot of different things. How many levels did you have to have fused? How active are you after your surgery? What type of physical therapy are you doing? Have you been told to be very careful with BLT (bending, lifting, twisting)? I am six months out from a three-level lumbar fusion. I spent the first several months feeling as though I had been nailed to a board. Finally, through a lot of walking and physical therapy, especially Graston Technique therapy, I am almost back to walking normally. I don't have the same female wiggle to my walk, but almost. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the way I move now.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • PT helps a lot with getting back to moving more normally. My walk felt very stiff - and was - but aqua therapy made a big difference. Have you been in PT?
    And I agree with Linda that the more you walk the better it gets.
  • I still don't walk normal. I had fusion from L1-L5 and after that my left leg is shorter than my right. Wasn't this way before surgery. But not only that...I just still have stiffness. I have hope this will be over...someday. Hang in there!
  • For me, recovery was an ongoing tapering kind of process. I'm not sure when it was really over and I was "healed," but it did occur. I felt pretty much normal after about 6 months. The constant pain had disappeared after about 2 months, but there was lingering pain with any big movements for about 4 more. That said, now, a year and a half out of surgery, I still occasionally feel a jab of pain when I cough too hard or lay on my stomach. And I don't think the morning/nighttime achiness will ever go away---but it's a hell of a lot better than the nerve pain from pre-surgery, so I can't complain.

I walk totally normal now. I can even run! Interestingly, my running is slightly different than before. My back stays really straight and I seem to bend my legs a lot as though I'm trying to cushion my spine from the shock. Not sure why this is happening.

Hang in there and keep plugging away at your PT! It gets a lot better with time. :)
advertisement