Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
Im 25 years old and have had CPRS in my right upper extremity for about 3-4 years. It was caused by a surgical MRSA infection that went up to my elbow. Was in hospital 2 weeks and 3 more surgeries becuse of it. It caused irreversable nerve damage and thats how they came up with the diagnosis of CRPS. I have tried everything, botox injections, darovcet, vicodin, oxycontin, vioxx, one or two more arthritis drugs, lyrica, neurontin, zoloft, cervical blocks and more. Nothing has worked. I had a trial done in Febuary that worked awesomely. On May 13 I had a Boston Scientific PrecisionPlus SCS implanted. I had the paddle leads rather than the percutaneous due tto the where the pain is. I love it. Im about 10 days post op and the difference is night and day, I love it. I spent 3 days in the hospital and the day after surgery they turned me online. I have 4 programs that I can use. My fav one is like a massage a fine vibrating, I also have one if the pain is bad I call it the jackhammer. Im not going to lie it was hard right after surgery in the hospital, I was on hourly narcotics and muslce relaxers and other meds to negate the side effects of the other meds and anesthesia. I had to be physically turned in bed and physically lifted out of bed to go to the bathroom or anywhere else. Now Im down to maybe taking a pain pill/muscle relaxer twice a day if that. Im on about a 4-6 week recovery, have to wear a cervical collar for 4 weeks. Its all worth it though for the pain relief I get. If you have ay questions just ask.

• how long have you had the CRPS and been on the Pain meds. How in the world are you able to get off the pain meds in so quick a time. I've had to take them for about 5 years now and I dont see how you could detox so fast. What am I missing here. Please share
    Well you still take them minimally, do you forsee that you will be able to be pain free soon?
    My RSD may have been from the disc or the shattered ankle, but mostly I think its just because these darn shingles never stop and the neuralgiea is too intense. I am still figuring out this forum. Good feedback thanks.
    What do the points off to the left mean under posts?
  • I didnt take all those drugs at one time, its what Ive tried over the years. The last drug I had was lyrica and it took about 2 weeks to detox. Ive had RSD for about 4 years. The SCS totally covers the pain and the pian meds im taking now is for the post surgical pain.
  • I had my SCS implanted on May 4th. I have been on pain meds more oftern than not since July of 2006. I tapered down and stopped them 2 days ago and am not noticing much of anything in the way of withdrawal symptoms :D

The trick is to very carefully taper down before quitting. I find that when my pain is controlled it is not much of an issue for me to quit the meds! It is only difficult for me to quit when I am in pain. I tried very, very hard to taper down and quit before my SCS sugery. I had ZERO luck in doing it. I just could not manage to drop my pill count and work.

I have a cervical precutaneous lead placed for my shoulder and upper arm pain and mine is Medtronic. Works very well for me too. My only real remaining issue is my ipg surgery area is sore. Everything else has healed up and is not much of a bother at all!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Welcome to the spine-health forum,it was nice speaking to you in chat yesterday, so you can see there is so much support and information to give and receive on both the forum and chatroom.
    Look forward to reading your future posts and chatting

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery