Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar disectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, My husband is haveing his second surgery on his lower back. He has a herniated disc and they willbe clipping of he herniated part. He had this done in Jan 06' But since then he has gained alot of weight and is in worse health
than before. Also, smokes heavily. I am worried that these factors will present a problem with this surgery.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks, a concerned wife
clio310
advertisement

Comments

• I am over weight (50 lbs. from the steroid packs they love to give 8> ) and I smoke and have been in the same boat as your husband. I am still battling my pain and I hope your husband does better than me. Not to scare you but back surgery is a long process. It's not over in a few hours, and once you get one your in for the ride. Wishing all goes well. They will take care of him. Don't worry.
  • I can see why you are worried about your husband's welfare. First, the smoking is bad for overall health (as you prob. know), and my surgeon told me that smoking is bad for discs (dries them out). Secondly, the extra weight adds more stress to the lumbar area.

The good news is that during his recovery, he could lose the weight if he follows his surgeon's order. My doctor has me walking an hour a day during my recovery from a 2nd microdiscectomy.

You should strongly urge him to seek medical help to stop smoking. For some people, the cessation of smoking takes more than will power. If he wants to avoid to more back pain or surgeries, he should quit smoking and lose the extra weight.

I hope that his 2nd surgery and recovery will be successful.
  • can really impair healing. Do your best to encourage your husband to quit. Since he's under a physician's care already, getting a script for Chantix or some other stop smoking method shouldn't be too tough. Quitting is tough (I did it eight years ago), but I've never regretted giving up the cigs. I feel so much better and the darn things are just too expensive these days anyway!

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks so much for the kind words. We are positive thinking people and are hoping for a great outcome.
    Thanks again
    Clio
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response and yes, quitting will be the next thing we work on after the surgery. I will let all know how he is doing after Wed this week

Clio
advertisement