Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Switching to new med

TimboTTimbo Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I am currently taking oxycodone 10/325 four times a day plus zanaflex when needed. My PM is switching me to avinza 90mg once a day plus oxycodone 7.5? for breakthrough pain. Anybody have luck with this? Also, I have been reading some other posts and saw that some people are taking 120mg of avinza more than once a day. I thought it was a slow release drug that could only be taken once a day? I am switching because the oxy that I am currently taking only lasts a few hours at the most. btw, I have spondylothesis with ddd and am trying to put off the back fusion surgery for as long as I can. tks

• you should have better pain relief by going on a time released medication. =D> there is not the constant up and down of pain and medication you experience with short acting meds!! ~X( i hope this helps your pain much better. i am not familiar with Avinza but with most any medication, you start off on the smallest dose possible and then increase it if necessary. :? that may be why you see more people taking it more than once.. i take my time released meds 3 times a day but i did not start out with that dose. good luck and continue to do your homework. =D> Jenny :)
  • It just seems kinda funny that my doc and the literature I got said that its a 24 hour time release form of morphine and I see it getting prescribed for more than once a day. thanks again!
  • Tim,
    The plus side of the long acting meds, is that you don't have to go with the 4-6 hour dosing schedules that most do with the short acting pain meds. However, for some people, their metabolisms are faster than others and the long acting medications don't necessarily last the 12 hour or 24 hour dosing schedules that they are marketed as, so sometimes, their doctors will prescribe more frequent dosing.
    If you need to go up in the dose, your PM will do that after seeing how your current dose covers your pain levels.
  • Tim-
    It is not really being prescribed more than once a day but it is being prescribed more than ONE a day. The 90 mg capsule may not be strong enough to deal with the pain for 24 hrs so the Dr. prescribes two of them and in order for the insurance to pick it up, they need to write it out to read twice a day. They're not really looking at the number of times but actually the number of capsules. You can take them at the same time or split them up, it won't make a difference. Trust me on this one. I have been taking this drug for a couple of years now and I love it. It works great for me and it doesn't give me any side effects or problems. Nor does it get me high either. It just works on the Mu Alpha Theta receptor in the brain that deals with my pain. A poem. I don't know the name of the receptor but it is a Greek thing, I know that. This is one drug that does last the full 24 hours and even longer. I have had doses that have lasted me up to 32 hours at a time. It all depends on the individual. like I said before, the Dr. isn't prescribing the number of times you take it but just the number you can take.
  • I think the Avinza 90mg and Oxycodone 7.5 will help control your pain better because the Avinza will stay in your system consistantly and the oxycodone will take care of the breakthru pain.

I recently started taking MS Contin (morphine) 60mg 3x's daily which is an extended release medication I take every 8 hours. I also take oxycodone for breakthru pain. Avinza is very convenient because you can take 1 capsule and it is supposed to last 24 hours. I think it comes in 30,60,90, and 120 mg capsules.

I hope it gives you relief and that you feel better soon. Take care
  • That's a good question. I have read somewhere that people who take Methadone are sometimes not given a break thru med. Some doctors think that it's enough, others may prescribe vicodin or oxycodone with it. I guess it all depends on which doctor you have, but it would be cool to have a superpill like that.
  • that sure makes a whole lot of sense B)