Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success Story.....6 weeks post op. Foraminotomy S1 - L4/5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
Since most postings at this site are stories of operations and procedures that have not worked out all that well, I thought I'd post a positive story just to let people out there still in pain that there is hope.
I had a Foraminotomy on S1 and L4/5 on April 9th....So far, the results have been more than I could have possibly hoped for. Before this operation I had constant sciatic pain in my left leg....starting in the hip, through the shin, and into my foot..the degree of pain varied between 2 and 7/8 ...I could not walk or stand (especially on concrete) for more that 50 yards before the pain made me stop to either sit down or go into a "baseball catchers squat" to temporarily get rid of the pain. Now I can walk as far as I want with no pain...at times I do have a "tingling" sensation in my leg (not painful), but the surgeon tells me this is the nerves regenerating. Prior to the procedure I had the epidural shots for 5/6 years and they worked great...but eventually they were not effective any longer.
I am so happy that I bit the bullet and had this procedure...So to all of you out there still with pain I say get the right surgeron, and follow his instructions (post op)....many people just think after a procedure that they are "fixed"....remember, the recovery and therapy are just as important as the operation.....good luck to all!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Woodysdad,

I'm so happy it was successful for you! You are right, there are many stories here with not so good outcomes, which is disheartening to those of us newbies who are potentially facing surgery in the near future.

I'm so glad it worked out so well for you!

Congratulations, and I hope you spine issues are soon to be just a distant memory! =D>
  • QuanrossQQuanross Posts: 1
    edited 01/25/2014 - 9:48 AM
    Hi,

Glad to hear your procedure was successful. My husband is currently consulting surgeons and plans to have this procedure in Feb. He has mild to moderate disc degenerative disease at L4/L5. He is 45, and this is not due to an injury or accident. His family all have terrible back health, genetics. He is in very good shape physically. He has been doing PT and chiro for 8 mos. PT is on going. He had 3 EIS procedures Nov-late Dec. They helped slightly with his pain, but only for about a week or so each time and only if he only went to work and came home. PT amounted to only traction and US. Anything more caused immediate flare up. He is a very active person, so this has been very hard on him. His surgeon told us he also has a thickening of a ligament in the area and fluid build up, as well as the DDD. He is planning to do the microscopic foraminotomy to shave a small channel and "free up" the nerve. He has the usual hip pain and very bad calf pain. Numbness in foot. He is an industrial electrician by trade. He does not do heavy lifting, etc. Mostly control panels. If the procedure goes well, is 2 weeks time off work the norm? He does not have STD, has some vacation, but time off work is definitely a concern.

Post edited to remove specific doctor's name. Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team