Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on my Laminectomy

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everybody! :)

I had my 4 level cervical laminectomy on April 8th. At this time I still wear a soft collar at home and a hard collar when riding in a vehicle. I saw my DO a few weeks ago. At that time he said I was still not ready for physical therapy. I see him again June 5th.

I see my neurosurgeon once more June 2nd. I'm not sure what he will be saying or doing with me on that date. I would imagine just a general follow up post-surgery.

I am still taking pain meds. I take 2 oxycodone (5 mg tabs) every 4 to 6 hours. I take 15 mg morphine tabs 2x a day. I take 2 Lyrica (100 mg tabs) 2x a day. My DO is reducing my Lorazepam over a month period to where I will finally be off that med.

I still have quite a bit of shoulder pain especially. I'm expecting that will still take months for that to go away. My left arm is just as bad or a bit worse than it was before surgery. My doctors think I probably sustained permanent nerve damage. But they also tell me it could take a year for that to resolve if it is going to.

So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for listening!

Ken GreyEagle

• Well, I guess things are at least ok because you're still posting. You've had such a long road and such a major surgery that I'm glad to see you giving us updates.

I'm so glad you gave us an update - I think about you and how you're doing. How's it going with LTD? Everything moving forward positively?

I'm sorry for you shoulder pain and I hope you don't end up with too much permanent nerve damage, although I know that it's to be expected in your case.

I hope you're able to keep up on World of Warcraft. LOL

Take care of yourself and I look forward to your updates to come.
  • Ken.
    Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your left arm and shoulder. Hang in there. It was 3 months before I could have PT after my second surgery, perhaps they will wait another month. Good to hear how you are doing, hope you feel better soon.

• Good to hear from you. Just remember that it takes a long time for nerves to heal after surgery.I thought that my pain wouldn't go away as well but after i was finally off my pain meds things seemed to settle down for me.Hopefully it will be the same for you.Just keep a positive attitude ,its key to getting as well as you can.
  • Glad to see you here. Sorry things haven't improved yet, but there is still a lot of time for improvment. Hang in there. At least things won't be getting any worse now, that's something to be thankful for.

Best wishes