Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recliner or bed - survey - 14 days until TLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all :-)

I'm looking for a comfortable recliner, just in case it might be necessary to find rest after surgery.

Did you prefer your bed, or a recliner. Thanks for everyone's input, and continued posts regarding recovery.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Vivster,
    The sleep furniture for me after my spine surgeries was the recliner. I tried my bed a few times and I just could not sleep that well. Everyone is different so you got to try each and see what suits you best.
  • All the way!!!! Couldn't even think about a bed for at least a week or two.
  • I vote for both. My first fusion was 360 so I was kind of propped by pillows and on my side. Once home from the hospital I slept in my bed, pillows under my knees and sat in the recliner during the day, when I wasn't walking. My 2nd fusion 6 months later was only thru the back but I again slept in bed and used the recliner during the day.

Good luck!!

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with bone graft from hip, PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • For some reason, the recliner was way too uncomfortable to me.
  • I have a hospital bed, which you can rent by the month. It is nice when you are trying to get confortable!
  • I had a TLIF in January, and how I WISHED for a recliner for 3+ months! I had an extremely painful/long time getting up each time I needed to go to the bathroom, so my vote is recliner. I hope, however, that you find you don't need it for the same reasons!

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I opted to go several routes. I used a recliner which I think I spent most of my nights in (and still do to this day).
    I liked my bed (Select comfort) so I could select the firmness, but there weren't many nights I could spend just lying in bed.
    I purchased one of those foam wedges. That was really good. I would put it under one level of sheet, so it acting in many ways like a recliner, but I had more room in the bed.
    I think some of the most difficult part about getting comfortable for sleeping after any spinal surgery is the amount of time you can spend in one place. I was always moving from one spot to another. Sleep was always interrupted by some spinal annoyance, so it was very common for me to go from one bed, to the recliner, maybe to the floor, then onto the bed with the wedge, and then start the same routine over again until morning
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I couldn't use the recliner for a few days but after that I loved it for naps and daytime use. My bed is a Temperpedic type and I loved it at night with lots of pillows to move around and prop me up. It is also nicer to have your spouse there to help roll you over or get meds and ice for you. Men, what would we do without 'em.
  • Recliner was way too low for me. I couldn't get down that far. So my husband purchased large 4inch sheets of foam and block of wood. He has raised my sofa to mid thigh height, a now firm base long enough to lie on and firm. Tall enough to get up without pulling myself.

My second op I was flat for 6 weeks, besides small walks. My bed would have driven me nuts!

Don't forget your slippy sheet to make the mobilising on the bed easier. You'll be amazed what a difference it makes.

Good Luck.
  • I had a 360 3 level fusion and my wife bought me one of those recliners with the vibrating, heat, fully adjustable, very expensive recliners that I lived in for 6 months. I tried to lay and sleep in the bed the first day home from my surgery but it was horrible. The second day, I switched to the recliner and I am grateful for every penny that my wife spent on the recliner. I don't know the brand off the top of my head but if you are interested, I can find it for you.

Good luck,

• :))) I appreciate all your thoughtful responses to my question.
    I do feel strongly that I need a recliner. I just can't see laying in bed 24/7 (besides walks and restroom duty).
    Thank you too itsalongwalk - I do have to get some slippery sheets to help my family turn me over! I do have two large ice packs that I LOVE, and have them ready to go, along with a "reacher" which I've been using already.
  • I have a recliner that I constantly occupied until I hurt my back. I haven't used it for more than five minutes since. I just can't get comfortable in it. My bed is best for me.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • not to even think of a recliner.
    I have a sofa bed which I bought and extra foam mattress for which I had set up in the living room.
    I would have a rest a few times a day but really didn't spend a lot of time lying down at all.
    I think I was expecting to before the surgery but after I had it I was more going between sitting and walking/standing then lying.

All the best
  • Its been awhile and Im still in a recliner. Bed makes me feel like im lying on bricks!!
  • We did a search for & found two loveseat recliners for our hearth room that is off the kitchen. I knew that would be where I wanted to be during the day.
    My husband insisted that we sleep there the first 2 weeks after coming home from the hospital. He was afraid for me to try to roll in and out of bed and fearful that it would do damage. The hospital used a big foam wedge that they gave me to bring home. My husband put it on the edge of the bed and propped a pillow against it and I would lean back on it....great relief during the night. I put a pillow betwee my knees and had pillows everywhere in our bed and all sizes and firmnesses for comfort. I had made a fitted sheet out of lingerie fabric (slippery)
    and what a great blessing that is to be able to move easily in and out of bed. I still use the loveseat a great deal....I either lie down and nap on the bottom cushion or get in the recliner and let it recline for an easy nap. I'm only 5', so I fit on the loveseat well.
    It's been just over 2 months since my surgery and I have no surgery pain....but am experiencing what they fear may be spinal fluid leak.....
    Comfort is important to our recovery.
  • I got one of those granny motorized recliners which I still use everyday while sitting in the living room. To sleep, I also rented a hospital bed - it was a total lifesaver! I could ajust the feet when I felt pulling in my lower back, had handrails to help get out, etc... Best of all, my insurance paid for it. I only needed it less than a month and then integrated back into my regular bed. One tip though, be sure to get it FULLY automated so you can do everything with the touch of a button.
  • Ten days to go - and I am so glad that you folks have given me some more ideas for making sure that I am comfortable. I'm afraid of the unknown - but then thankful that I'm in pain - so that I know that it truly the best thing to do right now.
    This is the BiggesT surgery I've had so far, and am not really comfortable in bed now. It makes so much sense as barney states "comfort is important to our recovery". We need to be comfy to relax and heal.
    Today is payday ;)) so I will be off to my two favorite discount department stores to get more pillows, foam wedgies and slick fabric.
    I'm thankful for all your support - and hope that I can offer encouragement to you good people too! :)))