Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The End of an Era - The Begining of a New Life

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Matters of the Heart
Many of you know by know that I have finished my career with IBM. A couple of months ago, they announced a Resource Action plan (fancy word for lay off) and I am officially leaving IBM on 05/31/09. I've had a long haul with them, joined 07/22/1974.
I have no regrets, the company has been good to me and my family.
Tomorrow, I will head into my office (first time in about 3 years) to turn in my badge, hand over my Thinkpad and say the final goodbyes.
I am ready. They will be providing me with a severance package that will help with some bills and then I am free. I can start to look at different things that I want to do.
I do feel badly for people that get the notice about being laid off and are still not eligible for retirement. I am lucky, I could start my pension 06/01/09 if I wanted to.
So soon, I will start to figure out what I want to do...Just a part time job, bringing in some income to pay for some of my medical expenses. I am very fortunate that my wife is still working and our medical benefits are under her.
Now I can start to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• You deserve to take a bow! That's very admirable of you to have stayed with a company for that many years. I know you will find something to occupy your mind and some of your time, just make sure it's a "retirement" job where you have little responsibility and lots of fun.

Good for you Sir!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    plan to do that.
    And I can not give enough thanks to You, Miki, Kitson, Jessi, Lily, Tracy and all of you that made our Isle the best place to be.
    I do hope with some extra time, I can vacation back where I started from.

"C" , you have been as good a friend as anyone could ask for. Though we have never seen each other face to face, I know the closeness and respect we have for one another is so very strong and real.
  • Wish you all the best on the 31st. What do they say -as one door closes so another opens. Lets hope it will be something that will give you happiness and a sense of satisfaction. I admire and respect you and anyone who employs you will be gaining someone very special - Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • Wow that's a long time!! I imagine it will be difficult to make this much of a huge change without it having been your own decision, but think of all the free time! I envy you, for both the career you held for so long, and the fact that you can retire with no guilt, knowing your stability was a rock for your family all these years.

lol @ "what I want to do when I grow up", I, myself have just figured out what I want to do... now if only my health will cooperate!

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • congrats on all the loyal years at your job, take a well and truly earned vacation, see some stars, smell the ocean breeze, let the night bring you rest.
    I hope you find yourself in a wonderful place and time!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• You, my friend, are now living the American Dream. Everything you've worked so hard for over the years is coming back to you and I can't think of a more deserving person.

You continually give of yourself on these forums and we can only assume that you are giving by nature to the people that are lucky enough to know you personally. They are truly lucky and blessed.

Perhaps the writing-a-cookbook dream is in your future. I'd be happy to do the layout and design for you. :-)

My hat is off to you, my friend. I'll bring the wine, you bring some of your good ol' home cookin' - let the party begin!
  • You worked hard and made it to the stage in life some only dream about! Good luck with all the new adventures you can embark on now!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Been there done that. Many, many congrats. It is a long road isn't it.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Congratulations to you.

You certainly were an asset to IBM! Being with them since 1974 is quite the accomplishment. =D>

I hope today went well for you in saying your "goodbyes". You most certainly will be missed by your co-workers.

Spine Health is so fortunate to have you. You have helped me beyond belief with your kindness, wisdom and support. You have chosen to give your time to those of us in need and I admire that.

Best wishes to you on this new journey! The new possibilities for you are endless.

I absolutely love the writing a cookbook dream that Cath mentioned. That would be awesome. :)

Cheers to you,

I cant tell you how much all of your comments mean to me. I spent those 34 plus years with IBM and I have met a number of really good people, smart and just plain good. Just sometimes in the business environment, you dont get enough time to spend with those people to develop lasting friendships, especially when you live over 50 miles from the office.
    And today as in every day I look at everyone in Spine-Health. To me, I have such an extended family here, we share a bond that many in the work force, working besides someone for many years never reach, yet so many of us here obtain this in such a short period of time.
    I am so lucky to be involved with the members at Spine-Health

CookBook.... Well, my son the formal chef has a number of ideas.. He wants to come up with two types of books.
    - A childrens gourmet cookbook written for children but meals to suit everyone.
    - A Cookbook for Physically or Emotionally Impaired Children.

Me, I just want to share my recipes
    It was a very interesting day, my final and last day working for IBM. After working from home for the past 10 years and during that time, my wife basically works 5 days a week, so it was me, myself and I at home.
    So going into work was good. There are actually people out there. Walking , talking using computers. I actually was able to use my voice instead of my keyboard!
    All the paper work in terms of not selling IBM secrets, not trying to make a patent of some of the work I did there, etc....
    Now the fun stuff......

1- Unemployment: I started setting this up. I was quite amazed at how professional and understanding the people were with this. The rep kept saying to me, "After 34 years with one company, you deserve to start collecting"

2- Pension: How to take it (Single Life, Joint Annuity of Lump Sum) The Joint Annuity is the only one that makes sense and guarantees my wife the same monthly pension payments even if I was to pass away.

3- 401K: I wished I retired last year when the market was good. But like everyone else the failed economy has taken its many victims. I sure hope we dont need to take any funds from our 401K.... Right now its more like a 41K, if that!

But I am real happy. I feel pretty good. I can continue to see improvements in my thoracic area. My neck still gets ms a twitch and lumbar is tough in the morning and when I have to get up and down.
    I am at a point were I do not need any of my pain medications until about 8:00pm at night!. That is good. I need the neurontin on a regular basis and the one 30mg of cymbalta daily has been helping.

Its a shame in a way.. As much as I loved my work and would still be doing it today, I can now see just how much of a toll it took on my spine. Its one thing in reading about what desk jobs and computer work can impact your spine. You realize that you need to take frequent breaks, etc.... All that things I have posted so many times on how to work in this environment.
    But once, you actually stop working in that environment, you really dont know the results.
    I know now more than I ever could before is the negative impact of that work and now that I no longer do it, how much better I feel and how I can almost see improvements and more strength on a weekly basis.

Now my next quest will be to find some 15-20 hour job that I can have fun with
  • hang in there! =D> just the right thing will come along! :D whatever you do, have a good time!! =D> Jenny :)