Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Fusion with instrumentation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On April 6 I had 2 disc remove and 2 fused. Everything seemed to go OK until 2 weeks later. I had extreme pain in my right leg. On April 29 I was taken back in for surgery in the same spot. They had to reposition one of the screws. Now I have pain, swelling and tingling in my right leg and foot below the knee.
Has anyone out there had the same problem? Will this continue? I am in therapy but my next doctor appointment is not until June 12.

• Welcome to the board. If you read through other threads, you will see that it is not uncommon to have new symptoms after fusion, even if a second surgery was not performed.

There are several things that could be causing the new pain. It could be as simple as the nerve just being irritated from being moved around during the two surgeries. It also could be inflammation. However, you might want to call your surgeon and discuss it with someone in his office if the pain is intolerable.

If the leg itself is swelling, I think I would call the doctor rather than waiting till the 12th. I don't think swelling is a "normal" part of healing...if it is more than just a little bit.

Please post often with your comments and questions. This board is full of generous people who are happy to share their stories and experiences with you.
  • Thanks for the information.
  • Nerve problems in your legs are affected by how long you had nerve compression before surgery, the degree of swelling and trauma to tissues during and after surgery, etc. I'm six months out from a three-level spinal fusion and have numbness down the outside of my right leg and my right foot is numb on the outside. At this rate, I'm not sure it will ever go away.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I would bet your nerves are NOT happy about the screw or the repositioning.

I also had to have a second surgery - but it was from a progressive numbness that started soon after the surgery (within 24 hours)

Best of luck!