Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A question for those of you who has a permanent ANS implant

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I am getting my permanent ANS implant Thursday..the 4th.
And I was wondering how long you had to wait to have yours turned on after the permanent implant.
I am getting the tiny generator that you recharge.
The leads will be placed in about the middle of my back to cover my lower back and my legs. I suffer from Neuropathy and the pain in my feet and legs is so savage that pain meds do not do much good.
I think that all brands of the "stimulator" are about alike when it comes to turning it on after the permanent implant but I was just wondering,
Boy I am going through h%*l tonight and have taken all the meds I am allowed today. Sheesh....I am really being tested
Thanks in advance...
Hugssssssssss >:D<
Patsy W

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I had one put in, in 06. I had some complications. But if I Remember right, you can turn it on right away. But it wont do anything for the surgery pain. They brought me to enough during the surgery to do some adjustments and put me back out to finish. And then adjusted it some more right after surgery While still in the recovery room. Mine was a ANS. But like you said I don't think the brand makes a difference.
    I wish you great success and a speedy recovery!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
    I'm wondering, are they putting the new lamitrode tripole 16C or 8C leads in. If not, ask about them. They are suppose to be the new high tech way of getting the stimulation where you want it. And that didn't happen for me. :''(
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • How ya doing today? Hope your day is going to be good.
    I do not know what kinds of leads they will be using except it will not be the paddles.
    They will be using the tiny recharbable battery. I do not think they want you to be recharging right away and you have to recharge every week.
    The pain meds I am now taking no longer help much and I dread the thought of suffering with this pain along with the surgery pain.
    That will just be to much.
    Thanks Jim..
    Sending you a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • It seems to be related to the unit they use. Mine is a Medtronic Advanced, it was turned on as soon as I hit the second recovery room :D

You are correct, no recharging until the wound site heals, so depending on the levels you need to use you may have to turn it back off if turned on right away?
    I was told no charging for 2 weeks, which was 4 days after the staples came out.

Mine is cervical and a single lead, with post surgery pain meds and no activity I did not have any issues at all with running out of battery charge. You can check levels and they will show you how if they turn it on right away. I have heard that typically lumbar SCS will need more stimulation than cervical. That may be why there are reports of shorter times between recharges? Mine goes for weeks :D I only have the one lead and use it on lower settings right now. Also, One of the things Medtronics states about the Advaned unit is up to four weeks run time on a charge!
  • Thanks....What has me so upset right now is the fact my leg pain is so much worse. I can't stand the thoughts of going two more weeks with it.
    I am going to my PC Doc. today and ask for stronger pain meds. I have to have help until I can turn my stimulator on. My Pain Doc does not give me anything for pain coz I am already on strong stuff....but it no longer helps much.
    Neuropathy is a b#%ch to treat. This stimulator is ideal for it. But what to do until it is turned on?? Only answer is stronger meds for right now.
    My PC Doc is not going to like doing this but who cares....he is not in pain now is he?

Hugssssss >:D<
  • I know what you are talking about. I had a LOT of pain between the trial and the permanent placement.

Its like the pain has a chance to rest up, shower and shave during the trial. When the lead comes out it attacks with a vengeance.

I hope they can do something for you till you get your permanent one!

I'm back at work for the first time in a month. I'm exhausted, my lead incision site hurts and it is only lunchtime, ugh.
  • Hate to hear you are in such pain. Best not tell your wife coz I bet she did not want you going back to work so soon after the implant. I use to be a wife so I know how we are.:))(

The (bleep) Doctor would NOT do anything for me!! (Bleep bleep bleep)#%^&*#!!*% I wanted to rip his (bleep)face off and then make hem eat it!! He sez he does not think it is neurophaty and he has all the reports from the pain Doc, the Nerurologist. all my reports from my MRI's, CT scans.....you name it he has it!! If I tell hem I have a pinched nerve(which I do) he swears it is not...then a few days later he will say....I think you have a pinched nerve!! I give up...I gotta find another PC Doctor. I can no longer deal with this man.
    OK I have bleeped enough. Shut up Patsy!!
  • Sometimes I think that our pain becomes worse because we know that it will soon be controlled and we are tired of mustering up the energy to deal with it. The trial gives us a chance to relax and for a person with CP that winds up working against us. Letting our guard down so to speak.

If at all possible, try not to focus on the fact you have to "wait" for relief to come. Focus on getting through each day as you did before the trial.

Distraction is the key, if you can find it.

• Big hugs to you Patsy!! I hope that you feel better soon, and you can find some relief before you can start using your unit. Thinking of you!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks guys. I should be packing tonight but this pain has got me down....Wayyyyyyyyy down.LOL
    But that's why i am having this implant isn't it? So I will no longer have to fight with this pain!! It is going to be sooooo wonderful,
    I feel sooooo bad for the ones that can't get relief like this. It takes away a little of my joy.
    C. Is right. Try to keep your mind busy and think of something other than pain or your up coming surgery.
    Start a small project, do some crosswords, read a book. Anything that will take your mind somewhere else. Somewhere pleasant if possible.
    Good luck, Jim
  • Am ready to head out of here for a couple of weeks. My sister will not let me come home after my implant. I have a great family who will do anything they can for me. I am sooooo lucky when it comes to family and friends.
    Will update when I feel up to it.
    My feet and legs are doing their best to drive me crazy. No amount of meds is helping much. Now I am going to add surgery pain to the mix. :''(
    I must look ahead at the relief the implant will bring and the surgery pain will ease in time won't it?
    All you guys are the greatest. Love you one and all.
    Sending everyone a hig... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Good luck Patsy. You will do great! Use the ice on the incisions. It helps so much. Ask for help. Your sister sounds very loving and protective. I am happy your family is so suporrtive! You might need help the first couple nights getting up to go to the bathroom. I had to be lifted out of bed. Remember the pain gets better. It won't be too bad. Let us all know how it goes.

God blees you,

• so happy relief is so near.
    thinking that your life will improve!
    all the luck in the world. O:) :-C B) <):) >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • good luck on your implant. hopefully relief will come soon. just a thought. i was offered an implant as well but i am a chicken. so i use the oral meds, tens unit etc. but i also found that the lidocaine patches help to calm the nerve down so i can sleep. just a thought. good luck
  • Will be heading to the Hospital at noon. Yippeeeeeeee
    Put me out quick!! This leg pain is over the top!! My sis will have to use a wheel chair just to get me in the hospital, that's how bad the pain is! And it will only get worse.
    Thanks everyone for the best wishes.
    Later Taters..... >:D<
  • Good Luck and cant wait to hear that you are feeling much better! >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Have my implant!! I was awake the whole time they were putting it in!! :''( Actually...I did not feel any pain except in my arm that was very unconfortable and I kept wanting to move it to find some comfort but they kept telling me to lay still! ~X(
    Had to spend the night in the hospital. Again I was very unconfortable coz they did not treat my pain as much as they should have. Did not get ANY sleep.
    Am at my sisters and she keeps me iced and I have taken over her recliner. It will have my butt print ingraved on it when I go home. LOL
    Am in some pain but not really bad. No pain is better!!
  • Just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers -- Wishing you a speedy recovery -- take good care of yourself and let your sister pamper you -- you deserve it!

• Great to hear from you. Glad you have access to a computer. When you get time give us an update.

• Am on the road to recovery. My Sis is really pampering me. She is an Angel!! O:) Pain is not so bad today. Am keeping my back iced. Have not tried to sleep in the bed yet. The recliner feels to good to give it up just yet.
    I can't use the stimulator yet!! I get very bad muscle spasams as soon as it is turned on and I am on muscle relaxers!! I do have a few programs in it but they said to wait until my next Dr. appointment, which is Friday, and they will try it again. Sheesh....I want to use it!!
    The lady came in my room at the Hospital to program it(the stimulator)and I am thrashing about with the spasams and she just kept talking and fiddling with the thing and I wanted to throw her out of the room!! I am normally a very calm person but she really tested me!! I recall NOTHING of what she was saying....nothing at all!!
    All in all....I am doing really well. I will be here until next weekend....if my Sis lets me go home.LOL
    I should be in very good shape by then. Pain is easing and I feel good today.
    Oh yes...two of my other sisters from out of state came to see me yesterday. That was lovely!! We had a feast and a great time. I can't say enough good things about my wonderful family. I am blessed!
    Hugsssssssssss to all.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • So glad to hear you are felling better, I hope it keeps up every day!!!
    I've been out of town for a week. Glad to hear the procedure went o.k. for you. It may take a few tries to get your stimulation right. I think its less confusing for you and them after a full recovery. So be patient.
    Good luck on your road to recovery!
  • Thanks....I am not as well today as I was yesterday.
    Sheesh!! Up and down!!
    I will find out Friday if the stimulator will still causes muscle spasams. So far so good on the leg pain. It has not been really bad since the implant.
    My sis left my brother-in-law in charge of me today. LOL Love his heart....he could not do enough for me.
    I am going to be spoiled rotten when I go home.
    Having a lot of pain at the surgery site today for some reason.
    It will ease in time.
    Hugssssssssss......... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • you've got lots of people rooting for you. we're in your corner all the way.
    }:) }:) }:)
  • Muscle spasms are usually a sign that the stimulation is set too high or too focused. The rep should be able to adjust how the leads are firing to spread things out a bit. The tendency is for the initial settings to be very focused and only using one or two contacts per lead. It drives the stimulation deeper and in many cases causes muscle spasms. Also the leads can be set up to cross-talk with each other and depending on that set up they can cause increased pain or spasms. Stick with it and have your rep try as much as possible. If your trial was successful and the permanent leads are placed properly, then the rep should be able to get your implant to function comfortably.

• Hi Pete....Thanks my friend. Am feeling better today. Surgery site no longer pains me so bad.Yippeeeeeee

Hi "C"...Thanks for the info. The other rep did say it was a common thing to get spasams. He will reset my programs Friday. The rep that was setting my programs was new and just ignored my thrashing about with my legs. She did not know what to do except to keep forging ahead. She was really nice but new at the job. Then she decided to just leave the stimulator on while she talked to my sis. I was going out of my mind!! It was sometime before the spasams stopped.
    I am doing really well today.
    Hugssssssssss to all.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I'm so happy to hear of your progress with every day!!! It makes me feel better to hear of people who are feeling better, and after all you've been through, you deserve it!! btw, my mom dropped off rhubarb muffins yesterday, so I'm sending a couple your way **giggles** >:D<
  • Oh my goodness!! Rhubarb Muffins!!! Yummy Yummy
    Yep.....I am doing better every day. My sister and family is taking great care of me.
    I even prepared dinner this evening and had it ready when everyone came in from work!! I was wiped out tho.LOL
    Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and concerns.
    Actually I am doing really well.....better than I expected. I will look back on this as just a small hickup in my life. I sure wish everyone who has this implant does as well as I am doing.
    Hugssssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • you've got to be kidding...
    how did you do that with all you've been thru.
    is being pain free THAT good!
    No pain...no strain. keep up the great work...

pete O:) O:) O:)
This discussion has been closed.