Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

finally some light at the end . . .

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi guys. I've posted before about the hopelessness I felt dealing with back pain and having no insurance. I have always had upper back pain, since a car accident years ago, but in the last 6 months, my lower back, legs and middle back have been HORRIBLY hurting. My doctor would not prescribe an MRI because i don't have insurance. I really didn't think it was his job to worry about MY bills, but whatever. So I've been looking for a new doctor to help me. I am in New Castle, PA. Called approx. 25 docs all of whom are not taking new patients when they hear i don't have insurance. : ( Went to an urgent care clinic a couple months ago who basically stated " You have chronic pain, not much can be done." WTF? No x-rays, no MRI, no nothing. OKAY. So I got sick and tired of hearing "NO" and being looked down at and treated like s***, so I gave up and suffered for 2 months. I need to mention I am also in recovery, with 4.5 years clean from drugs and alcohol. On Thursday I was to the point that Relapse looked like the only option.
Saturday I went to a Community Care clinic almost an hour away. Part of a network of teching non-profit hospitals.
OMG, they were SO nice! The Dr. actually listened to me, asked me questions, actually SAT DOWN with me. Gave me X-rays, which showed nothing, but told me he couldn't prescribe the MRI there as it was urgent care but gave me his office number and another Dr.'s number, and told me to call one of them, they will prescribe the MRI, and help me get the cost covered. They deal primarily with people with no insurance. He then prescribed me Medrol dose pack, Diclofenac for pain, and Baclofen for spasms.
I am just so pleased that they listened to me and there seems to be hope for getting my back taken care of and my pain under control. Had to share this with you all.

• That's awesome that you're able to get some help, it is unbelievable how frustrating things can get and when you find a good doc it truly restores hope. Keep us posted how your meds are working and how your treatment goes.

I like my pain management doc and hope to be able to keep him as the primary doctor for me as long as I possibly can. I don't let anything happen with other docs unless he is aware and refuse to let anyone else prescribe me any meds. Hopefully you will be able to develop a good relationship with these doctors too.

I wish you well on your new path to being pain free.
  • That IS good news!! I am soooo happy for you!!
    This just goes to prove that a person should never give up.
    Some day some place you will find help. Don't you agree?
    Best of luck to you and may the sun always shine on you.
    Sending a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • who gave me some encouragement. Feel like a human baramoter right now . . . hurting so bad last night and couldn't figure out why until it started storming. Sposed to rain for days. YAY. I'm sure you all know how i'm feeling. Tried a moist heating pad last night as well - had pain shooting down my arm and pain in my butt and leg - anyone else had this happen? Woke up in the middle of the night with very restless legs and very agitated.
    Having some issues with controlling the pain as I am in recovery, although pain pills were not my drug of choice i am reluctant to take them but Hydrocodone seems to be the only thing that can help when it's this bad . . . Have 3 left from prior prescription of a few months ago and holding on to them till I can't take it anymore.
    AAAAh just wish i knew what was wrong. Did find out I should have a good job beginning of next year with HEALTH INSURANCE!!! Don't think I can hold on until then, though.
  • So I called the doctor listed on my directions from the urgent care clinic to schedule my follow-up to get an MRI. I was told she is OBLIGATED to see me with or without insurance. They say she's not taking new patients, I'm like " oooo kay " and the lady says well what type of insurance do you have I said none and she HUNG UP ON ME!!! ~X( I called the doctor I saw on Saturday and he actually got on the phone and said he was going to follow up on that he was not very happy. He says he can see me ( sliding fee scale) and apologized for what happened. I set an appointment ( which is not till June 30 - but hey, no one else will even talk to me) so we'll see.
    I'm just so sick with frustration over the way i get treated because i don't have insurance. I work two jobs, one fulltime and one part, sometimes 14 hour days, and raise my daughter myself and just bought a house. I can't help neither of the jobs offers insurance and i can't afford it - it's outrageous!! I'm working on it and as I said should have a good job early next year with insurance. I get treated like i'm scum when i work WAY more hours than these people, and in great pain, to boot, just to offer my daughter a good life cause her dad's a bum, lol.
    It's like health insurance is the new social accessory . . . you don't have it, you are nothing. Sorry for the diatribe, just very frustrated and sick of being in this much pain at 27 years old. Hope everyone else is having a relatively pain free day.
  • It isn't easy living as we do, just to have doctors treat us with no respect. I am thrilled that finally someone out there has helped you. Take care and make sure to call them and get that MRI. Keep us posted!
  • that they hung up on you!!! No doubt you're frustrated. I'm sorry you're going thru all this on top of the pain, and glad that you found a dr who is looking our for you. I also wanted to say congrats on your additcion recovery, keep up the good work, and take everything one day at a time!!! Warm wishes of well being to you!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
This discussion has been closed.