Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tired of the pain and noone seems to understand

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I started having pain in my lower back and neck aroung fall of '06. I pretty much dealt with it as best I could, never been one to go to a Dr and never took meds for anything UNTIL, Feb, '08 started having constant headaches, pain in neck, Right Shoulder, numb and tingling fingers in right hand. Lower back continued to cause problems but nothing like my neck pain. Tried medication, PT, followed OS orders to a T. No relief. MRI showed moderate herniation C6-C7 along with congenital spinal stenosis and according to OS I should have ACDF using a cage. After much deliberation at home and with local friends who have had this procedure I decided to go for it (1st mistake) and hopefully get back to life. After first surgery 06-08 I did fairly well for about 5 weeks. Then all the symptoms returned with a vengence. I returned to the OS and talked with him about the recurring headaches, neck pain and shooting pain down through my right arm. He told me in his ten years of practice he never had anyone have another problem this quick after surgery, and it is usually 8-10 years later if any. I continued to have problems and after approx. 2 months I finally talked him into getting another MRI. It showed a larger herniation C5-C6 than the first. He was shocked, I wasn't just aggravated, and he highly recommended another ACDF. I listened to him and second ACDF C5-C6 (10-27-08). Did fairly well and returned to work on 12-31-08. I wore the soft collar from day of first ACDF until 12-31-08. Then I only wore it at work as directed by OS. Well here I am again and the pain is back except this time it is in both shoulders (mostly right) and down to my right hand. Lower back is bothersome but I was able to deal with it until my neck started again. The two of them coupled together are almost unbearable at times. I recently had a CT Myelogram and it showed Bone spurs, and thankfully no herniations in my neck but the pain is back as bad if not a little worse than before surgery. PM doc thinks it is due to the congenital spinal stenosis leaves no room for any abnormalities other than my spinal cord and scar tissue from prior ACDF's. Now to top it all off I just lost my job. Fortunately My insurance is through my wifes employer but the lose of income in todays economy is devastating. Is there anyone out there who has had similiar problems. All comments would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I kinda needed to vent, even though I have a very supportive family I just don't feel like they understand as well as someone who has been there.

• Hello and welcome. Sorry we must meet under such circumstances, and sorry you are having so much pain. I can certainly understand your frustration ~X( and the feeling that nobody understands, but many here are in similar boats, so I am sure you will find many people to help you through your rough times.

You have really been through the ringer, I can honestly say I have no idea what you are going through. It's when I read stories such as these, I feel like a whiner myself.

I truly hope you can find some relief soon! >:D<
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we are here for you. :D and you are right, we know exactly what you are feeling. so vent away!! ~X( good luck as you face the future! Jenny :)
  • thanks for the reponse, I was having one of those days. I'm sure all of you can relate to. I have been reading some of the posts and this is really a great site. I am deeply saddened that there are so many people with such difficult health problems.
  • I hope this means you are doing better! Yes, it's a great site, and many great people that know what we are going through. Truly a godsend!