Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Change of meds - short on change swap advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
Hey all,

I have been reading your site for a while but this is my first time having a question that I can't really find an answer for on here.

I have been taking 30mg MS-Contin 2x day for only about a month. I have been seeing a pain doctor for about 3. My doctor already knows that the 30mg 2x is not helping me pretty much in the least bit at the moment. Because of this I am about 4 days short on my meds to trade them in for a 40mg oxycontin 3x script.

I am wondering if it would be better to own up to taking slightly more than prescribed of my current medication when I change up because of what I have already expressed to my doctor or should I wait the 4 days so that it seems everything is normal.

I did not take them to abuse them at all its just that my pain gets quite bad at times and I just didnt care at the time.

Has anyone brought in a short script to their doctor for a med change or is that an absolute 'no-no'?

thanks in advance

• I hope your new pain meds help. It's best not to self medicate especially on strong meds. Going to the Dr. more frequently for adjustments is the right thing to do. I had to visit my Dr often for her to increase my meds. It was hard because car vibrations were painful at that time but it's necessary to let your Dr know you still have pain and it's not completely gone then they'll help you. Good luck with your appt. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know that no one can really tell me that 'yes it is ok, they wont do anything' i am just looking for a little insight as I am new to PM. I guess its really not that big of deal to wait the days out or i may talk to my pain doc.

At the beginning they told me that if the meds are gone for some reason (as in like a whole script with alot of time to go) they would help me with withdrawals but -absolutely- no refills early. I don't know if this is really that kind of case but... I ramble
  • that you have the Narcos to help while you're awaiting your new script. I hope the new meds work better for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Do you already have the script or are you seeing them about soon about this? Long story: I had really lousy pain control switching from one med (IR) to a different type but ER (forget breakthrough, this ER wouldn't even touch at 4x recommended dose), so the next month I switch to another ER. At what was supposedly a semi-equivalent dose, which I switched to the new med I got very little pain control - but was completely zombied out/nonfunctional to the point I was a harm to myself with loe dose, let alone the dose I was supposed to take. After 4 days of "trying to give my body time to adjust" I begged the PM to see me, and put me back on the one that didn't give me great pain control but didn't zombie me out. Because they were class II, what I actually had to do was take my old full of bottle minus the four doses I used to the pharmacy, they did a pill count, and after many phone calls (I believe to DEA and my insurance company), they said they could issue me the new Rx. However, they make the unused pills impossible to ever use again by dissolving them in very hot water in their original prescription bottle, shaking them and waiting for them to dissolve into a giant glob (remember, these are ER pills that would kill you if you even took one open tablet, let alone any dissolved tablet), thus rendering the old stuff unconsumable (actually fatal). The pharmacist made it very clear to me I was to either remove the label and have it returned to the doctors office where they could dispose is in a biohazard trash container, or a less ideal option was to put the unlabeled mass in your regular trash (note: never dispose of narcotics down the toilet - they are better off in a landfill than in public water supply,bot not trash where infant or child could get ahold of. I would think incineration would not be bad methods of disposable, as long as you destroy in a well-ventilated area. But yes, outside of the insurance hassle that some companies won't refill Rx's "early", a good pharmacist fighting on your behalf that you had a potentially harmful/life-threatening side effect and that she is going to destroy unused supply helps.
  • the script for the oxy is already written and waiting for me to pick up, I just called my PM and told her what was up and she had no problem changing them out without an appointment as I had just seen her.

And truth be told I am 6 days short on the meds but thats because I was shorted 9 pills at the pharmacy but thats reflected on the bottle. It says 111 instead of 120. ridiculous i know but i only have one pharmacy in my town and I have to fill there as per the contract.

I don't have to go to the pharmacy to see if i can refill, its a different med so its not 'early' to the insurance its just what the PM would say.
  • Whenever my Dr changed my dose,or upped my dose,it was too soon to fill,but she told me to go ahead and fill it and that the pharmacy would 'have to fill it' because it was a new script and at a stronger mg.,so,I guess the laws are all different with these things.She didn't ask for any of my others back or anything ......hmmm,that was probably a good thing too.She didn't give me too many.This was a long time ago.
  • Yes, this is a sticky situation but I understand how hard it is to be in constant pain. Like everyone already mentioned, pain mgt clinics are super strict nowadays.

When I had my dosage changed or a brand new script, my pharmacy always filled it with no problems because the insurance company doesn't view it as refill too soon. What happens is that I'm left with the old med/ old dose and I have to worry about throwing it away in a responsible manner. And of course, I'd never flush it down the toilet for it to get into our water supply.

Are you going to go without for 6 days or take a chance and mention you're short to your doctor? Remember, they don't budge when it comes to the pain contract- it don't matter what happened, if you break any of their rules they will dismiss you. I'm just telling you like it is. It's a good thing you have Norco and clonidine to fall back on.

You were shorted at the pharmacy, and the proof is on the label. Are you going back to get the pills that are owed to you? I hope everything works out for you. Take care
  • decided to just wait it out, now that i am actually getting pain care from someone that cares enough to give me proper meds I dont want to chance it.

thanks for all the advice guys
  • onesty is always the best policy, if your at all concerned with your medical treatment u have to be honest with your dr's. remember never fill partial scripts also.