Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi you guys. I have been reading all the threads here on neck pain and have found them to be extremely helpful. I have been experiencing severe neck pain for about 5 years after a waterslide accident. Recently I started experiencing pain in my right Shoulder along with tingling in both arms, pain in my right wrist and severe headaches. I had L4-L5_S1 fusion 8 years ago. I went back to my surgeon and he sent for an MRI. I have a large herniation at the c5-c6 level, he is reccomending an ACDF. Can some of you guys give me your experiences with recovery time as far as getting back to work, driving...etc. I have a job where I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day. Any info would be appreciated... Thank You

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

As you can see by my signature, I've had a 3-level ACDF. I was in a hard collar for four weeks and couldn't drive during that time. I then went on to a soft collar for eight weeks and was able to drive. My ROM didn't prevent me from driving.

I went back to work part time after seven weeks and even that was tough - I also had a desk job. You can ask anybody here whose had cervical spine surgery how difficult it is to go back to a desk job and they'll tell you it's extremely painful.

Are you going to be in a collar post-surgery?
  • I meet with my surgeon tomorrow for all of the gory details... I went back to work in 4 weeks after L4-L5-S1 fusion 8 years ago...I was a copier tech then. were you able to do things like sit at home and work on a laptop, because that is an option for me.
  • sorry , i am a lumbar chick but if you have the option of getting up frequently to move that may help. good luck
  • I am a lumbar dude as well... this neck thing is new to me... this site has been awesome. I agree about walking... I'm gonna be in the same situation as my back surgery having it in summer when it is 98 degrees and 98%humidity here in Houston...LOL. Gonna have to find some indoor walking alternatives.