Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 Weeks Post Op-Achiness!!

precsmmtspprecsmmts Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone...

I just wanted to give a quick update. On March 23rd, I had an ACDF w/ hardware of c5-c6 due to a herniated disc and a torn ligament. Surgeon said that most of my pre-surgery pain was probably coming from the ligament being torn, which allowed the disc to herniate further.

For the most part, I am doing pretty well. I am back to work (although I still tire very easily), and am back to many of my regular activities. I still have a lifting restriction of 25 pounds and am supposed to watch the bending, and twisting - although I forget about those all the time.

All the numbness in my fingers is gone. But I am still soooooo achy in the back of my neck and sometimes the right side. The muscles still get very tight in those areas, as well as in my right trapezius.

I am wondering what type of pain other neckies still feel. I would like to know if what I'm feeling is normal healing from the ACDF, or if what I'm feeling is from the ligament that is still not healed. (He said that he cut the torn part out)

Thanks for any insight!!

• Seems what your feeling is perfectly normal... I felt a deep ache for about 4-5 months.. Alot was done inside of you!!
    I'm glad to see your back to work..
    I just used alot of ice then heat. Ice to dull the pain and heat to relax the muscles.
    Just give it time..
    If you have any concerns call your surgeon.. I lived on muscle relaxers forever...
    Good luck
  • I think it is normal to still have some aches & pains. Have you tried massage for the muscle tightness? I started going last week & am gonna try it for a while to see if it helps. My stamina is great...I could walk all day & not have any pain or get too tired. My problem is using my arms...ever since my unsuccessful attempt to return to work even little tasks cause my muscle pain to flare up worse than it was pre op. I'm hoping massage & PT (on hold til mid June due to nerve irritation) will get that under control. I miss my job!
  • I only have a tiny bit of feeling in my upper back (Only sometimes) but nothing else. today is 6 weeks and 2 days from my C6-7 ACDF. I am back to full everyting, however I do not try to lift anything heavier than a case of water. I have been feeling real good lately like I had nothing done at all. Hope it lasts. My followup and X-Rays are set for the 10th. I hope you get better soon!
  • Yes, I still have the pain you mention, only the deep ache in my neck is in the back and/or left side. I also still have muscle spasms. My surgeon said that's to be expected, but that was last January. I'll see him again this month.

• Thanks for the replies everyone. It gives me some validation for what I am feeling.

Terri...thanks for the advice. I do use heat when it's really bad. I also pop an occasional muscle relaxer if I feel the need, but I try really hard not to have to use them. I have another follow up appt. in 2 weeks, so I will also ask the surgeon.

Joann...I am sorry that your return to work did not go as expected. I was anxious to get back to work as well, but I went back for 1/2 days at first. That was really helpful. My job is not nearly as physical as yours though.

NJShamrock...I'm glad to hear that your recovery is going so well. (and a little jealous too! :P )Good for you!

Cath...sounds like you and I are experiencing similar pain. Hang in there!!

Thanks again everyone!