Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When is it safe to venture out

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am almost 4 weeks out of ALIF and disc replacement and feeling great! I am walking a little over a mile each day and venture out for my daughter’s softball games and church, about 2 times a week. My questions are: when is it safe to really venture out? Maybe ride to the grocery store with my husband or attend a picnic with friends and family. The only restrictions my doctor gave me were no lifting, pushing or pulling. Is it safe to go and just walk around or sit in a chair at a picnic? I spend a lot of time alone and I’m getting cabin fever!!!! Also, it’s a possibility that my husbands company may be closing and we might have to relocate to another state. We had plans to relocate this summer but my back surgery pushed our move back another year. If the company closes we may have to move sooner than we planned. Does anyone know when it’s safe to travel long distances? We are moving from New York to Arkansas so it’s about a 22 hour drive. My husband and I would just like to have an idea of when I’ll be able to go so we can have an idea of what to do when he is let go. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs. Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5
Current Meds: Vicadin 10mg/650, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator

• Did you have your 1 month check up yet????

All drs are going to have different restrictions.. At 4 wks I still found it very hard to sit more then that 15min mark without moving around..
    I was at the grocery store and mall at 4wks, best exercise you can get. But I always had someone with me and also someone else always drove..

I am not your dr and cannot tell you what to do, but it seems your doing great, and a picnic or base ball game is not going to do any harm.. Its what ever your body is comfortable doing..

I did notice more fatigue the more I did and more of a deep ache afterwards...
    I would give them a call. I imagine the secretary or a NP will get back to you in what you can and cannot do..

Good luck and hang in there this is a long recovery!! And we all go batty LOL
  • but since my hubby's 2nd surgery was out of state, we had a 6 hour car ride at 10 days post surgery. It took us a little under 8 hours. We stopped at each rest area (every 45 minutes) for a brief walk.

At 4 months post surgery, we flew from Atlanta to Philadelphia and then drove about an hour to a family vacation. Although it was a tiring trip, my hubby did ok.

Hope this helps. Talk with your doc about your specific situation.

• Thanks for the advice. I did call my surgeon and he said all restrictions still apply until I see him on July 10(2 month appointment). I can venture out to the store but strictly for the exercise and no lifting, pushing or pullling.He said that I just have to remember not to tire myself out because Im still healing.As far as our move, he said I should be cleared to travel by late August.Maybe even sooner if I continue to do well.