Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial SCS Scheduled

jeauxbertjjeauxbert Posts: 953
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management

Just returned from my "monthly visit". We have scheduled the SCS stimulator trial for 7/7/09 and then removed 7/10/09.

I have mixed feelings. I am confident this will work. I have heard (read) so many good comments here. Because I have read so many good comments, I feel like it's GOTTA work. It will, right?

But what if it doesn't?

But it will. It WILL I TELL YOU!

Wish me luck!

• The worst part of the SCS trial for me, was the time proceeding it, when I had the fear that it might not work. Yhe what if's and OMG's. I did a three day trial and I relied on my husband and good friend for feedback. They saw such a dramatic change instantly even though I was struggling with it emotionally. I didn't want to have the placebo effect from it and wanted to make sure before I agreed to the permanent implant. After the first day or two, turn it off for a few hours and you will get a real good idea of just exactly how much it is really doing for you.

• don't read to much into my whining!!! I'll get this figured out. May have to move to Hawaii or the yucatan penninsula to stay warm! But, i'll get this!

Have you read up on the trial? Talked to your doc about days up to etc? It is best you get specifics from your doc as all of them seem to have different approaches to restrictions right now!

IIRC you have had ESIs? If so that seems to be the norm of the trial placement. Mine felt a LOT like that. same procedure, same flouroscopy to place the lead. It is very different feeling when they get the placement right! nice and tingly.

Don't panic if it takes a few tries to get lead placement. I ended up hitting the underside of the table a couple of times during the trial placement! They kept getting the motor control nerves excited and my arm would curl up and hit the table. Very strange that sensation! But not much in the way of pain.

I think it is a trial that you will be glad in the end you tried. One way or the other you will have removed any doubts. You will know if it does or does not work. Even if I never get better than I am now with mine. It is an improvement over the constant pain meds and related issues. I only take a couple norco every 2-3 days now! Instead of 6 a day, everyday! When this bottle runs out in a few months I hope to have gotten past the rest of my healing and be done. I thought I was done when I tapered off and quit 2 weeks ago, but returning to work on Monday has me suffering enough that I break down and take it every other day. Without it I end up to burned out from sleepless nights.

I try to keep my spirits up and am very careful to not take the Norco more often than 48 hours apart as I do not want to fool with tapering off ever again!

Wow, I'm sorry. i'm rambling on your thread! It's been a long week for me.

I hope you get the best of everything! I'll send all my good quick recovery thoughts your way!

Last note then I quit, I promise! If at the end of your scheduled trial you are unsure of the sensations. ASK FOR MORE TIME! I had an 8 day trail and it took that long for me to really get things settled down and my mind wrapped around what it did do for me! Somone else on here had questions too and asked for a longer trial and the request was granted, so that is a real possibility.

Wishing you one of the best trials ever!
  • Thanks to both of you. Hagland, you made excellent points about feed back from others as to my disposition and also the "turn it off" point. Thanks!

Wrambler - I won't let your issues sway me in my decision. It's all new for you right now and you are trying to adjust. I have had ESIs, Nerve Ablation, Diskectomy... And have been going to Pain Management for about 3 years. My surgery was in 2/06 and I felt better as soon as I woke up - even went back to work after 2 weeks agains medical advice. But I felt so good!

Now I have scar tissue and permanent nerve damage from waiting too long to do surgery. My problems are mild compared to others here - which is one reason I try to not complain (much).

I remember when we were doing the EMG/NCS.... The technician kept looking at me and asking "do you feel that?" "does that hurt?" "you DON'T feel that?"
    It would have been funny were it not so sad....

Well, thanks again to you both!

• I'm excited for you, Jeaux. Three days isn't alot of time. I asked my doc to let me leave it in a couple more days when I wasn't sure and she was kind enough to come in on a Sat. morning to remove it. C's suggestion to turn off the unit for a while is a great one---you geat an instant (almost instant) reminder of how things feel without the stim. Remember that a 50% reduction in pain is considered successful. 80 or 90% is unusual. I found myself s-o-o-o hyperfocused on how I was feeling every second of the day, but, how could I not. Good luck. Hope its a success. I know you've been wanting to try this for a while. Susan
  • I won't be naive enough to know it's all roses and lolliposps... I have read the stories of those here who did not have positive results with the SCS. In fact, my doctor told me yesterday that it's all in the patient's perception of what is acceptable for them and each one is different. She related a story about a patient who had 75% (yes, 75%) reduction in pain, yet could not stand the noise. The NOISE? Well, to each his/her own.

I would be excited with 50% reduction in pain. Satisfied even.

My husband on the other hand.... He said he'd feel better if it were 100%, but who wouldn't? He said "You will have this vibrator AND STILL have to take medication? Where's the improvement?" I told him we would have to wait and see where exactly the improvement will be.

Take care my cyber buds!

• Hi Jeaux,
    I pray that you have an awesome trial. I have had two trials and both were great. The tape was my only problem. I started to have terrible itching and irritation. Also, I did not like not being able to shower. Muscle spasms are common. My muscles have a strong reaction to the electric currents. I have to adjust often. (turn it down) My trials were both 4 days. It went very fast. My doctor will not allow for longer trials. Both trials gave me about 70% relief. Fantastic. It has been a couple of years now and my relief is about 50% with medication. I am satisfied with that. One more thing, with the temps it is highly positional. I could turn the stimulation off just by moving my head a tiny bit. Or,the stimulation may slowly diminish on its own. (turn it up) I was told that it is because during the trial the leads are "floating",they are not anchored down. I was disappointed when the trials were over. I enjoyed the extra pain relief!

Take care,

• Jeaux,
    I hope that all goes well for you. I remember that you have gone through a lot to get to this point. Keep a good outlook on things, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Melissa and Mark, "C", Susan and Mark, I appreciate any and all advice and observations that have been beneficial in your life on the buzz. Thanks for the prayers and well-wishes; mostly, thank you for your support.

Take care!