Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacrum pain..anyone??

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I just had my 6 month check up (ALIF) and it seems my OS has no idea why I am having extreme bouts of throbbing sacrum pain..am I really the only one who has experienced this since surgery??

This is significant pain so I have booked an appointment with my primary physician tomorrow incase it is unrelated, but that would be a HUGE coincidence!

Any ideas what it could be attributed to?

• Is it sacrum pain or coccyx pain? About 3 months after my 1st surgery I started having pain in my tailbone. It was throbbing/booming pain if I coughed, sneezed, laughed, moved my head too fast, or even opened my mouth really wide. My OS or NS couldn't tell me what it was other than nerve irritation. My theory was that it was a shift or something going on with my CSF (my OS PA described it as a "spinal shock" b/c it initiated w/my head and then it skipped my spine and went to my tailbone). Not sure if it's something like that?
  • the PA said what I was explaining was in the sacrum area.. but I explain it as tailbone pain..(coccyx).
    It throbs & feels "full" like its under pressure & going to explode.

It is at its worse when I have been on my feet too long or am more active. I am begining to think it is angry nerves at the end of my tailbone. I can deal as long as I know it will improve...??
  • Mine goes in and out, and the episode became more rare. I haven't had any of that with my latest surgery. Hopefully yours will get better soon! Just sit when you can, and don't sit too long w/pressure on your tailbone. Not sure if you're on anything for nerve pain, but if you talk to your Dr, Lyrica or Neurontin may help. Feel better! :)-Andrea
  • I had part of my sacrum removed. I have nerve and muscle pain. I take zonisamide for the nerve pain. I didn't want to take neurontin because of side effects. It works quite well. I'm still in pain but it's alot better! I love this medication! I get to increase it next week and am really excited...expect increase to give me even more relief. Can only hope!
    Noow looking for PT to take care of the muscles they 'elevated' higher...they feel pulled/tight/just hurt. Hope this info helps.
    Ms. Jan
  • Tatiyana, is the pain coming from your SI joints? When you said your sacrum feels full and under pressure this is what I experience and I have SI joint dysfucntion. Mine is more severe in that I have extreme difficulty walking and experience severe nerve pain in my legs on top of the bum pain which I often describe as feeling like my pelvis is being ripped into two. The only thing that takes away the 'full, pressure' feeling is to wear an SI joint belt. Relief mart sells the one I wear. If nothing pans out on your next doctor appt. maybe it would be worth it to research SI joint dysfucntion and try an SI joint belt. Just an idea.
  • I forgot to say having my sacrum partially removed began with a tumor and the pain began after my first biopsy. It was a sacral tumor. I don't know if it was the tumor pressing on a nerve starting to cause pain or the biopsy that caused it. I just mentioned it because if you haven't had a scan of the area, maybe there's something there pressing. Hopefully not.
  • Tatiyana,

I can't believe it but I'm actually having the SAME symptoms...I had my second PLIF Fusion on 10/29/10 and these past few weeks the pain has been severe.

I went to PT and she said it sounds like my sacrum and she feels that I'm out of alignment as well. I get that full pressure feeling in my low back, my pelvis feels like it's tearing, sitting feels like I'm sitting on a bone and walking just forget it!!!

I have been actually very discourage with this. I went to my surgeons office and saw the PA and he said bursitis. I'm having a hard time swallowing it because I had bursitis before and it wasn't like this. I had a failed fusion last year so I'm a little concern. If the pain keeps up I'm going to see if they can get me in to see the OS .. Also I'm concern because 10 years ago my tailbone ans S1 was full of staph and they had to remove part of the bone. I'm wondering if the L4-L5 fusion is putting to much pressure on my S1 and that's what I'm feeling.

I Hope we all can get some relief and support for this.

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
    Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
    PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I have SI joint problems on occasion. I can always tell when it fires up. I did have an ablation over a year ago which helped a bit and I'm hoping for another.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • What is a ablation??