Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Water Cooler
Good day to all of my spiney friends!

I'm sure that most of you are unaware but I am a part time pro photographer and run my own website dedicated to my photography business. Now I am not wanting to try and promote my business, to be honest I don't think I want to travel all over the place! :) However, I am a huge fan of sharing pictures and have decided on a trial basis to offer free server space for those who would like to share pictures with other Spine-Health members and do not have the means to do so.

Anyway, I have been discussing this with Papa-Ron and he has given me his blessing. In fact I proposed to him for another forum area exclusively for photo sharing posts.

So here is the deal: if you want to share a picture (or more than one), just send me an email with the pictures attached. I will process and resize them to fit within a post, put the images on my server and send you an email containing instructions on how to post them. This will consist of copying the text in the mail and pasting it into your post, we'll keep the difficulty level low! Please include your Spine-Health username in your email, I'll need this to keep everything organized. If possible send me a private message here on Spine-Health to let me know you sent the email.

Now for the disclaimer type stuff. Like I said above, I'm only part-time involved with photography and this server is at my home. I won't be able to prepare photos unless I'm at home, typically the evenings. Also, I cannot guarantee 100% availability of my server. If there is a server failure I'll obviously do my best to get things running as soon as I can but there is the risk of it being unavailable for a period of time until I can get home and fix it. If the volume of pictures is high it may take me a little time to get them ready also, I'll do this on a first come, first served basis. Even though I have set up the server so that the major search engines will not catalog or see your pictures, there may be search engines that are not as reputable and not follow the standards for cataloging a web server making it possible that an internet search may turn up your photos. I've found that this has not been an issue yet with my own photos. Please use discretion in subject matter, the rules of Spine-health will apply here and if requested by the mods I will make a photo unavailable. If you decide that you no longer want your pictures shared, just let me know and I will delete them off of the server. One last thing, if you have a flickr or photobucket account I would prefer that you use these services although I won't turn anyone down.

The email to send your pictures is spiney@thousandwordsimaging.com

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Here is a sample of how the pictures will look, this is one of my favorites!

• Jay~How incredibly kind and generous of you!

I am a freelance photographer too,but I use the term loosely(lol)..always so much to learn,and I normally would never have even mentioned this had you not said it first.I can't even keep up with my own pics let alone others,so I see what you're offering as a huge and unselfish gesture.

My forte is mainly in editing..in still and moving footage...mostly just for fun.

One of MY favorites,but not good quality b/c I was out of film.:

• That's great Robin! I'm actually not as good at editing, I think that's a skill that you have to develop. Over time I'm sure I'll improve. I consider myself more "old school" and am still trying to transition to digital, I've only used digital cameras for the last year or so. I have a "prosumer" model now, saving now for a camera that runs about $5000. I'll have to do a lot of pictures to get there!!!

I do like using Photoshop, I have the whole CS3 suite, there is a technique that I use for some pictures to make them look almost like paintings. Here is a rose from my yard:
    Spiney hugs to all!! :hug:
  • Your rose is BEAUTIFUL!

I took this photo at CAROLINA BEACH.

I don't have much money,so can't afford the photo stuff that I want,but I just work with what I have,and because it's just for fun,that's OK.I play around with Photoshop,but when I mention editing I don't mean to change the quality or take liberties with a photo..more just take the 'junk' out of a pic or..well maybe later I'll show off some stuff.I'm quite shy about most of it.Not much confidence in that area.I write too,but nobody sees that at all.

• I don't mean to do it, but your photo makes me laugh! Each pole has one bird sitting on it. They're like sentries or something. What a great picture! =)) =D>

It's not about the equipment nearly as much as composition. Having a good eye and ability to compose the elements of a picture is difficult but has about a 90% influence over the picture. The trick is to figure out what you want your picture to say (or feeling to invoke) then making it do just that. Usually the expensive equipment just makes it easier to do the same things as the less expensive stuff.

You got it right, it's fun! I've had "fun" since I was a kid, decided to make a business out of that fun. Even though there's a lot behind it, taking the pictures has never ever lost that fun part!
    Spiney hugs :hug:
  • Those birds were really there...that pic was unretouched..I promise...but I know,it does look ODD...which is why I took the shot.Thanks.

This one reminds me of us here..people IN pain..looking OUT.

• I didn't SEE your lion before I posted-that's weird!

How did you get that shot......? Well-nvm......lol
  • Actually Robin I cheated and edited my post. I forgot to put the picture in the original post, OOPS!

Believe it or not, both of my lion pictures I took at the Denver zoo. The second one had a building & tree that I had to remove from the background, so it has been retouched a bit. The lion plopped down on the rock for about 30 seconds, long enough for me to take a few shots. Then he got up and wandered off. I got lucky! Funny thing, just like in the cartoons when someone turns into a steak with arms and legs, I felt the same way, he was staring right at me!

With your picture, I see why you say that. Things look so dark to us with chronic pain, with the light unattainable outside. What a contrast from the bleak inside and almost "happy" and light outside. Powerful message, wonderful!
  • i am so lame at the picture thing. 8} now if i can only get the pictures out of the digital camera! :D thank you so much for your offer and the time you are willing to give of yourself. =D> Jenny :)
  • I know there are a few bird lovers here so I thought I'd share this pic. This is an Eurasian Eagle Owl, love the eyes!

• lulusheart wanted to share my other furry friend with you, he's actually much more social than Jazzy and is into hugs, big time! We got him 2 weeks before Christmas a few years ago and the first night he "unwrapped" several boxes under the tree! So we named him Ebenezer Scrooge. Well, long story short, his name ended up being Noser. Here he is in all of his glory:

• OK Jay.....You asked for it.........lmao

**EDIT--Not my work.......lol.
  • this is too much fun!! =)) i just love "Noser" and hope to see more of him. :X i have a 70# boxer/pit and i think they would get along well! :D the picture of the ostrich is fantastic. you and Jay both have alot of talent.. =D> what a joy! :D Jenny :)p.s.you did put the pic up and even though you did not take it, your creativity showed through!!
  • Just a little something to brighten everyone's day:

Spiney hugs to all
  • Jay, that's such a beautiful picture. My hubby has recently taken up photography and I'll post some of his. He loves to take pictures of birds. We actually got a shot of an eagle in Cherry Creek Reservoir and some owl babies near the side of the road on South Wadsworth Blvd., across from Chatfield.

Hubby has a question: What camera are you using and what lenses do you have? Give us the low-down, buddy.

• I use a Nikon D80 and Nikon D300 and have a collection of lenses. I like my 60mm "micro" and 55-200 VR lenses the best. (The VR stands for vibration reduction, a lifesaver in low light.) I also have 18-55mm and 70-210mm. Other lenses are packed away, no room in my bag for them.

I have a few pictures of birds, here is a bald eagle:

• I LOVE your yellow Rose.It's amazing
  • Jay, I think you can definitely do this for a living. What GREAT pix! Hubby and I both loved them. Keep em comin'!

Robin, your pictures are so well thoughtout and I find that when I look at them it makes me think. I love your photography also.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    created an extra bonus for Spine-Health members. Your work is very much appreciated.
    Lets keep this growing and if you need something from this end, please let me know.....
    Thank you for bringing something extra to this site
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you Cath~That's the best compliment you could give for my type of shots,as they are more about the content to me..and trying to tell the viewer something.The fact that you saw that just makes my day : )
  • I have been checking out the pictures daily.....Awesome! Thank you Jay and Robin, brightens my day! I look forward to seeing the new posts everyday! Jay, you enjoy doing this so make some money off of it! And Robin, you could always have a book printed with your beautiful shots too!

I'm so computer illiterate I can't even figure out how to put my personal pix on this new laptop to send to family/ friends yet...maybe some day! LOL!

Thanks for giving us something to enjoy everyday!
  • I will share the eagles pix with my husband tonight as he loves and collects eagles. We actually have what we refer to as the "eagle" room with all his eagles around it! We have so many eagles and eagle pix we ran out of space! LOL!

• I want to thank everyone for the wonderful comments, like Robin I think a photo tells a story and if that lifts the spirits of the rest of the community then that makes me happy!

Ron, I really did struggle with this whole topic because I do own my own photography business and I don't want to break the rules. If I cross the line please tell me!! Otherwise I think this is working great. I can't think of anything you might be able to do as an admin, unless we make a separate forum for photo posting, but I don't think that is a necessity. And I love seeing other member's photos too!

My offer still stands, if anyone wants to post a picture, send me an email (with the picture as an attachment) and I will reply with an email detailing how to post the picture. I do ask that you give me your username from Spine-Health, this will allow me to store them efficiently and if you want to remove the picture(s) from my server I can do that easily.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program:

• Jay, I love that you've posted your pix here and I have an idea. (Maybe you have already done or thought about this...)

You could create a free account on Photobucket and make a photo album. You can do all sorts of customizations, then make it public and post a link here. In NO WAY am I saying to stop posting photos in this thread (please don't stop), but it would be really cool if we could see all your great pictures.

Robin - this could be a great idea for you, too.

Keep us posted and keep on a'clickin'!
  • Awesome! What kind of flower is that in #25?
    The yellow rose is beautiful!

Robin - LOVE the ostrich! Your pics make me think - like the brick room... Hmmmm...

LOVE this thread fer sure!

• Thank you for making me forget for just a few minutes why I came back here. I was looking for answers but got so distracted I almost forgot what my question was. :) How nice of you to offer up a server to everyone here. Some sweet day I hope to join you in your photography adventures. I need a better camera though. Again thank you for sharing. You just made my day.
  • jeauxbert - that is a dahlia flower, sorry but I don't recall the actual variety. I do have two varieties, here is the other, can't remember which one this one is either :) :

Cath - I've always wanted to host a photo sharing site, I may try to get something running the way I like, it's hard to find just what I want. I'll keep trying and keep you updated!!

tonya - you've made my day if I've had that much of an impact, that means much more than you'll ever realize. For me, taking pictures is a kind of therapy. If, by sharing, I bring some happiness to others that's a big bonus! Just so you know, I think the camera itself only contributes a very small percentage to a picture. The photographer has the biggest impact, from the technical exposure settings to the composition. Don't worry too much about your camera, just start taking the pictures!!
  • More flowers, I'm trying to build up a large portfolio. One of these days I'll be able to have them displayed in a gallery.