Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decision on surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having to decide between a laminectomy for three level (L2-3,L3-4,L4-5)and fusion at L4-5 OR an Xstop. My diagnosis is spinal stenosis at all 3 levels but worse at L4-5 where I also have spondylolisthesis (grade 1 or 2 depending on who is looking at the scans). I have cauda equina symptoms, sciatic pain down to toes on left side and lower back pain...this has been going on for 25 years but in the last five years, the tingling, numbness, etc. has started in the saddle area.

I have other health problems and am old (73 with heart disease-stents now and diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome for many years). So any surgery is risky but have to do something and I am not getting very clear direction from the neurosurgeon.

Any thoughts? Have had a recent upright MRI in London and am thinking on what to do next.


  • I had neck surgery, so I wouldn't be much help to you, but wanted to welcome you and say hi. These boards can be a wonderful source of support.

    I know how nerve-wracking the decision to have surgery can be. I am fairly young and healthy, and I did a ton of research and talked to many people before making a decision.

    One word of advice...it's always a good idea to get a second opinion! Making this decision is a big one. And if you're not getting the right kind of support from your neuro, then maybe it's time to find one who will help you with your decision and who you feel comfortable with.

    Hang in there...hopefully some other answers will be more helpful for you!

Sign In or Register to comment.