Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, you'll probably be seeing alot of me in the next few weeks. As an introduction..I'm 33 yo female with several dessicated disc, a few tears in them and one really big ruptured one at L5-S1. I've had problems since I was a teenager and for years Drs wrote it off as muscle spasms until a great Dr sent me for an MRI in 2002. They located a much smaller protrusion there and after PT didn't work I got an epidural and was pretty much pain free for 7 years. Unfortunatly I didn't take care of myself like I should, gained a lot of weight and didn't realize that the occasional hip/calf pain was coming from this. Easter weekend I went camping, put a log on the fire and thought my right leg was going to buckle. After a week of pain and not realizing I was rubbing my back so hard I had bruised it I finally went to a Dr who prescribed pain meds, flexeril and naproxin...didn't help, she recommended MRI, I was stubborn (and clausterphobic) finally broke down after another 2 weeks of unbareable pain and got it and within a day they were setting me up with a neurosurgeon. Met with him last week, the disc is taking up 1/3 of the spinal column and displacing the s1 and s2 nerves and surgery was recommended. I'm terrified of it but I also know I can't endure the pain much longer. Because of my job I really can't take pain meds during the day and even if I take them at night I'm foggy the next day and don't feel like I function right. I can't spend the rest of my life on light duty either. Sometimes it feels like I'm sitting on a steak knife and someone is taking a sledge hammer to my hip while cutting my leg....and it's all the time. The only few moments I have without pain are when I first wake up and am still lying in bed. I'm scheduled for a discetomy/laminectomy on the 18th and it sucks losing the summer to this and that I'm going to miss so much work but I am hopeful of going back to a better quality of life once this is over. In a nutshell that's me and my story, hello to all, glad to meet you just wish it was under different circumstances.
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. :D this is a great place to spend time while you go through your recovery.. =D> do your homework as well. you want to be fully qualified as to what they are doing and what recovery will be like for you.. check out the different forums and make yourself at home. :D i look forward to reading your posts! :D good luck! Jenny :)