Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

worst weekend of my life

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I come on almost everyday to view the messages,most times i just read sometimes if i think i can help i post.Right now i'm just trying to bide my time until my muscle relaxant kicks in. I already took one three hours ago,it didn't do a thing for me so i just took a second.Seems that my muscles just don't want to relax tonight.After my accident i was told by every doc. that i saw that i should continue to do as much as i could.to keep myself going and not let myself get stiff.So i've been doing therapy three times a week. an hour and a half is used for heat,tens, muscle stim. and ultra sound,and then stretches and then on too muscle strengthening and balance exercises.which takes another hour or more.Well i always felt that i shouldn't be doing the exercises after the heat and stretches to relax my muscles and i would leave with pain or i'd get home and the pain would get bad,but last week they changed it up and i was just doing the heat and ultra sound,stim ,tens and stretches and friday when i got home i was in agony. I felt like my back,neck and shoulders were on fire.It was so bad that i almost felt cold and shivery.I took an anti inflammatory but it didn't seem to help much.I started laying on a big ice pack that felt good at first but then i just felt a dull pain so i got off that.Anyways i suffered all day and night and by the next day the burning had gone away and the dreaded nerve pain appeared down my arms and throughout my back.So out comes the nerve pain meds.It helped some but didn't take the pain right away.This morning when i woke up my mid back was really stiff,i did my stetches like i'm supposed to and was doing some laundry and my mid back right across my ribs really started to hurt and i started getting pain radiating into my stomach and around the front of my ribs.I started taking my anti inflammaoties so that the burning wouldn't come back again,i took some extra strength tylenols which didn't do a thing then after a few hours of suffering i took a nerve pain pill which didn't help but i started feeling really nauseous from the pain. you know how you mouth waters just before you get sick,i was like that for about an hour and then i couldn't keep it down anymore.Yup i got sick :& The worst part of all this is that i had the same experience a week before i went in for surgery on my neck and they kept telling me it was caused from my neck being so bad that it wasn't from the disc in my ribs,but now i have the exact same pain in the same area and now all i can think about it how wrong they were and oh no i hope i'm not in for another surgery.this disc is herniated and touching the sac around the spinal cord,but after the accident it felt much worse so who knows what happened to it.No one has done an mri since the accident ,just x-rays to check for breaks.I really feel like i should go back to my doctor and be checked out but every time i need to see her its a four to six week wait.I hate calling her office. :S

• I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Hope the muscle relaxer kicks in soon. Perhaps you could call your dr's office in the am, tell them your symptoms, and ask if you should have an MRI to rule out further injury? Did these symptoms go away after your surgery? Or where you just on so much medication it was controlling them. I too have a bulging disc at T8. I was told to avoid thoracic surgery if at all possible. Said to be the hardest surgery to recover from. Hang in there, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• i did get a few hours sleep the relaxers kicked in around 3:30am . Most of my pain was gone after surgery.When i first started therapy i did have a relapse of nerve pain but after a while it did go away ,i told my therapist about it and he adjusted my therapy accordingly.I was feeling not too bad until the car accident and whiplash.Once that happened my back hasn't felt good since.I definitely plan on calling my doc today hopefully i don't have another six week wait to see her.Thanks for the response.
  • I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to take your hubby with you to your next appointment. Have him explain how miserable you are, and have him get agressive with the doctor. Unfortunately sometimes it takes another person telling the doctor the same things we tell them before they really listen. Either that or just get really mad and demand an MRI. I think it is ridiculous that you haven't had one yet. You're in Canada, right? Do you have emergency care? If you were to show up at a hospital emergency room in extreme pain, would the docs order an MRI? Somehow you need that MRI. PM me if you need to. Unfortunately I think part of what you are feeling is just the effects of having so much work done. A 3 level is not easy to recover from, and I don't think our necks will ever feel "normal" again.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Well i did call my doctor yesterday to scedule an apt. Her secretary gave me an apt. for July 7th.Ok so its not a six week wait only five.HA HA. ;)) Crazy. She told me that she was booked up and that she's going away AGAIN at the end of the month.So i scheduled that apt. anyways and i went to there after hours clinic last night.If i go to this clinic a report goes back to my doctor where as if i go to another clinic they don't get any reports.When i called for the apt. i told them it was a six week wait and they couldn't believe how rediculous that was.When i actually saw the doctor he told me that alot of the higher ups in the medical profession in town were not very happy with her because she takes so much time off and she only works three and a half days a week.Unfortunately he couldn't set up an mri for me even though he knows i need one.He said so himself.He changed my medications to stronger ones,asked if i getting therapy for my mid back,i told him no that my therapist wouldn't touch it without a new mri because of the accident and he felt the mri i had was too old.He didn't seem to care for that explanation and wrote me a script for therapy anyways.He also gave me a script to get more x-rays on my back and the results to be sent to my doctor.He said that way when i finally see her she'll have the results of the x-rays and can just schedule the mri instead of telling me to go for x-rays first and see what they say.Oh and taking my husband with me to my doctors apt. wouldn't help me out unfortunately he's one of those people that think that doctors are gods and you don't argue with them.I've tried that route before and he just sits there looking dumb. LOL ;) Ah did i say that LOL.
    The last time i went to the ER it was just before i had my surgery so they just gave me as much pain meds as they could,because my neck was so bad at that point they just figured it was from that but it was the same type of pain in the same place.Thats how i know its that disc.It didn't bother me after the surgery i figure because i hadn't done anything for so long after the surgery it was probably healing but then after the car accident it started hurting again.The accident either moved it or stirred it somehow.Either way i definitely need a new mri done,but these long waits don't help the situation.
  • Hi Tammy. I feel for you hun. I have been through a lot like you. To get immediate relief to help you get through the day find a swimming pool and just get the water to your chin and move your neck back and forth and up and down and move your arms all under the water. The exercise you do will reduce some inflammation which is contributing to your pain. Keep taking the anti imflammatories too, You may not think they are working but they do. I recently had to stop taking them to have a cervial laminectomy and my pain was 5 times worse after not taking them. I lay on my side when I sleep and that helps me through the night. Also I have gotten some of those heat patches you can apply to the back of the neck so things don't tense up in your neck and they last 8 hours. A cervical soft collar could help also. The collar helps by making your head weigh less so your neck doesn't get so tired. It would also be a good idea to wear it driving in case you get hit again. I wear mine half the day to relieve pain in my neck and shoulders. Good luck I hope some of what I said helps your pain level. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • today was my assessment at therapy for my thoracic area. They got my x-ray results,he told me that it was normal nothing showed,which i really was expecting.i had x-rays done before on my thoracic and lumbar spine and nothing showed then either.They didn't see the herniations until they did the mri.Anyways my therapist wants to take the safe approach until i have my mri and see what it shows. He's hoping that the herniation in my thoracic area is mild and can be nudged back into place.I asked him about my leg numbness and he said that if the thoracic area is causing that then it would have to be a large herniation,he thinks that the leg problem is coming from my lumbar spine.Which really sucks because now he's thinking that i have two problems instead of just one.I'm kinda hoping that he's wrong i think i'd rather have one large bulge instead of having two separate problems.He was trying to encourage me to call my surgeon and make an apt. to see him,because i'm having quite a bit of nerve pain,but i'm not sure that he will do anything about it anyways its not my neck thats causing the problem its my midback and its a totally separate issue.I have to see my doctor on the 7th of july and hopefully she'll set me up with an mri.