Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 ACDF post op from the Philippines

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hello Everyone, Im Chris from the Philippines, I just stumbled upon this board because Im researching about my mothers operation. I hope you can help me answer my situations regarding my mothers ACDF operation.
My mother was diagnosed to have a compression of the nerves from C4-C6, the symptoms present at that time was her numbness of her right feet and leg that she could barely walk and would trip if she walks on rocky places.
So the Doctor decided that she had to undergo Anterior Cervical decompression fusion on the affected part of the spine because if not treated, she will be paralyzed for life. It has been 4 weeks now since my mothers successful operation but our problem is that after the operation she is weak on all her body parts, arms, legs, back.. She gets stronger by the day though as she can now barely move her arms and legs and can balance her back using only her arms.. but the problem is that she cant stand up by her own and probably couldn't walk (when she could write, could walk, could stand up before the operation), the doctor said to us that it will take time before she could stand up again. Does somebody have a similar experience than us? Will she be able to walk again, because before the operation she lives like a normal person, the only problem is that she can hardly walk thats all. Please help me Thank You...

• Hi,

If possible I would get a second opinion on what is happening to your mother. I had this operation and did not develop problems such as hers afterwards. What types of testing did she have before surgery? Did she have MRI's of her spine and brain?

I wish you the best and hope she gets better soon.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Chris,
    I agree with Marianne as I had a lot more work to the same area and then some. They had me walking less than 12 hours post-op. Ask questions and try and get another Dr to examine her. I'm not a Dr but there are people that can give you and your mom the answers you need. I hope all goes well for the both of you, take care.
  • Hi Hello, thanks for the replies, After the operation, the doctor had only made an X-Ray of my mothers cervical spine, showing the successful repair of the spines original curvature, because post X-RAY and MRI shows my mothers curvature is not normal and that is why its blocking the spinal cord. So by far only an X-Ray was the only post operation test and nothing more. The Doctors said that it might take time since my mother has been bearing that problem for 7 years before she finally decided to take the operation as she can still do things in her everyday life except for her right legs numbness. Right now the Physical Theraphist has undergone standing excercises on her by wrapping a belt on her and standing her up.. I am still hoping for the best that my mother will recover, not hoping 100% but we just wanted for her to do her normal activities in life, like eating, walking, climbing the stairs, taking a bath, cooking as she usually does, I would not expect her to run or jump when she is fully recovered but at least the latter activities would be enough for us...