Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decompression surgery at 23?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with a large protusion in my lumbar vertebrae, a ruptured disc. I have been experiencing back pain for quite awhile now in my lower back, to the point where it has been debilitating for about a year and a half now. I tried different treatments before I was diagnosed, going to chiropractors, physical therapists, and even an orthopedic who I got prolotherapy from. The prolotherapy seemed to relieve pain in my lower back for a bit. However this was before I knew that I had a ruptured disc. I have had the pain get much worse since January, and can now hardly move my left leg. It has been making life very difficult, and I don't even know what it's like to not be in constant pain. I can't even sleep.
My doctor has given me steroids and pain pills, and I have been going to a physical therapist now that I am aware of my lumbar radiculopathy(I can't spell that). I feel relief after I go to the physical therapist for the rest of the day after the appointment, but it doesn't stay that way.
I am 23 years old, and have the best health insurance I could get right now through my family. However when I am 24 that goes away, and I have no insurance at all.
My doctor suggested I try the epidural coritisone shot, however that doesn't always work, and I guess wares off. My doctor already authorized a decompression surgery, and now I am just waiting to get the appointment. I was going to try the epidural shot, however I really don't want to risk it not working and have my health insurance run out and then be screwed. My doctor is a very good doctor who graduated from Standford and has lots of experience. The surgery sounds minor, sounds like it has potential to actually work. I am excited to not be in pain anymore and actually know what real life feels like not being in pain. However I am looking to hear what the thoughts are of maybe some experienced folks out there? What do you think...lumbar decompression surgery? Or no?? Lookin' for some insight, thanks a lot.
..oh an sorry if my terminology for stuff is way off..I'm still learning! Thanks!

• Pain and damage ALWAYS comes first, and you're right to want to get this done before insurance runs out. I would be cautious though, and ask your doc about future insurance. They LOVE to deny further needs or even signing you up because of "pre-existing conditions". Sometimes they accept you, but you can't have a claim on your back for a period of time. See if your doc or the person in his office has any input on how to word your future insurance application. I had a fusion x2 but each time I've had to have major decompression. It's made a big difference on my radiculopathy. Best of luck, and hopefully someone will come along to give you more input on a discectomy/decompression. --Andrea