Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Support from a loved one or not?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hello everyone,

I am fortunate in that I now have a great man in my life who has stood by me for quite some time during my time of pain.

Since I have recently been seeing a pain doctor and have been receiving the proper treatment for my nerve damage (Lyrica and injections), my boyfriend is now pressuring me to eliminate the Lyrica (because it is so expensive) and suggests that I only go with the injections to see if they might work on their own. In his words, if the injections themselves work on their own, why would I need to continue with Lyrica?

Because I have been in such nightmarish pain for the last six years and it is only recently that I have obtained some relief, I told him that I didn't want to rush things...I wanted to let my doctor decide when and if I should come off the medication and test to see whether the injections themselves would work on their own.

In Canada, the injections are covered by our national health plan, but the meds are not.

I guess I'm now becoming a bit confused about my boyfriend's motives. So what if Lyrica costs me $130 per month? Aren't I worth it?

I feel rushed and pressured to find the cheapest and quickest of pain management, but it has been six long years of intense, unrelenting pain and I am just happy to have what I have right now.

How would you deal with a partner like this?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    However, you are correct. Only your doctor should be the one to tell you when and why you can come of medications. For nerve pain, medications like Lyrica and Neurontin have been godsents to so many people.
    I know for myself, with Neurontin, I would be misearable halfway through the day. I was on Lyrica, but I came off of it, not because of its costs (in our plan, less expensive than Neurontin) but for the wwird side effects.

In your situation, I hope you guys have a two way communications path, because I would just ask the question.

Why do you want me to stop taking Lyrica, when we know that it helps me?

I guess some partners would answer its the Money

Then I hope other partners would just see that you are doing better now and your health is so important. You cant put a dollar figure on how you feel.

Good luck Karen, but please consider your overall health and well being. Remember at this point, you come first.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't know how to address the BF subject, but have another suggestion. Have you tried the Lyrica website to see if you qualify for free or discounted Lyrica? If you go to the main website www.lyrica.com and scroll to the bottom, you'll see information on financial help and an application.
  • I had my husband come into the PM Dr. for the Dr to explain to him everything going on with me and my husband is just now understanding that the pain just won't go away and you can't just "snap out of it" especially after the 6 month mark and they need to try different meds and treatments to find out what works the best for the patient. The session got overheated with my husband. Anyway he's just starting to understand. Maybe you can ask your PM Dr to talk to him. Sometimes it's better for a Dr to explain things even though I'm an RN myself. It helps to have a different prospective from a Professional Dr. Before I had a full time job I used the old Blue Cross now called Liberty to pay for meds,dental etc. I live in Canada also and hope you can try that website er nurse recommended. I hope you can get more support from him. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Bring your boyfriend to your next doctor's appointment and let the doctor explain what will happen if you stop taking the Lyrica.
    Many times our loved ones do not understand what we are saying. Its not that they dont believe us, but...
    Hearing it from someone else may sink home
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This is another case where someone who has never had chronic pain can't understand what it's like for someone who does. It happens way too much.

Charry's suggestion is a great one. Sometimes that's the only way to get someone to understand.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I agree with charry & Cath, have him go with you to the doctor. My wife comes to as many of my appointments as she can, she is able to ask questions that I may not even think of since she has an "outside view" of it all. She understands what the game plan is and why, from a procedure and also medication standpoint. (Plus, those questions I forget to ask she'll remember.) She is completely supportive all the time. Our view is that $100 or $150 is a small amount to pay every month if it gives me a greater quality of life.
    Best of luck!

• Yes, you are worth it and I agree with everyone about that you can't just drop the Lyrica. I understand that we have to be reasonable esp with the recession. Maybe you can get a discount from the company that makes it because some do offer help to those who qualify for assistance. Perhaps you can call your clinic and see if they have Lyrica samples; I do this a lot and it has saved my behind a number of times (and my wallet too).

I'm sure your boyfriend cares about you and wants you to be well taken care of. Treating chronic back pain is so difficult at times because what works for one person won't work for the other. I believe he's being supportive; maybe he's just confused about what is best. My husband does not want me to have any more injections because he's seen how bad I get. He just wants me to feel better too. I hope things work out for you both, and also that you will remain getting the medicines you need. Take care