Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Okay I am back still in pain!!!!!

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Okay so it has been a little while since I have posted. Between work, which has been insanly busy lately and not helping my pain at all, and everything else I have had going on in my life I have not had time to do anything else. We had to admit our oldest son (13 yrs) into an inpatient facility for depression a few weeks ago, so my husband and I were a mess the whole 7 days he was in there. It was stressful but he is a whole new kid now. :) Thank god!

So anyway I just went and had my second epidural on Monday 6/8/09 and so far I am still in the same pain, if not worse. I am going to lose my sanity soon! I really don't know what else can be done but if something is not done soon I am going to cry, again. I can not do anything without being in excruciating pain the next day. I am too young for this!!!! Hell I can't even help with yardwork anymore or I pay for it for days. There is really no way I can live like this, there has to be something. Luckily the docs are not giving up by any means but in the mean time here I am in pain still. :( This sucks!!

• You didn't say if the pain is in your cervical area where you had the surgery or is something else going on?

Sometimes it takes several days for the results of an ESI to kick in.
  • Then he might see the cause of the pain. The myelogram is painful in itself but only lasts for a few minutes. Do you have a TENS unit? That might be helpful. Or an ice pack. THe pain could be caused by scar tissue in the area. That's a hard one.
  • what did the inpatient facility for depression do to help your son?

Do you have depression ? If so it will make neck pain way worse...
  • I'm glad to hear that your son is feeling better, and hope that you are soon, too!! You just had your surgery in March? Take it easy, girl, don't overdo it, the stress of everyday life is enough, let alone work and your family!! Maybe you could get your doctor to refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist? Or, do you see a pain management doctor? I hope that you do find some relief for yourself, in spite of worrying about everybody and everything else!!!
    Take care, and warm wishes!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Sorry to hear you are still in pain but it still is early in your recovery from your ACDF. Sometimes it can take up to and even a little longer than a year to get back up to speed. It all depends on nerve damage, fusion time, and of course age plays a factor. Glad to hear your son is doing better, that stress on you doesn't help your pain either. Keep track of your symptoms if they worsen or get better and review them with your surgeon in the future.
    Hope all gets better for you, take care.
  • I sorry to hear about your son ,but glad he's doing better. I had my surgery in april and am still having a hard time with pain and trouble being able to do things too. Its not nearly as bad as it was before the surgery but i find myself thinking the same thing,that i should be able to do more without my body reacting to it. muscle pain,pain in general neck pain.i have it all right now.don't give up just keep thinking it will get better.Did they tell you that you have nerve damage? I know it takes a very long time for nerves to heal.
  • I am sorry for all your going through. It has only been 2 months since your fusion and its far from healed. Stress and anxiety will increase your pain as well. Have you had any physical therapy yet ? Are you still wearing your collar? I wore mine for 3 months and didnt even attempt to mow the lawn that year. The best thing that helped me improve quickly was swimming. I would get the water up to neck level and exercise only in the water. Move your neck etc after your collar is removed and the fusion is completed of course. If your depressed then your pain will only increase. My doctor put me on cymbalta it helps with depression and spine pain. Good luck hope you feel better soon. I just had a cervical laminectomy on 6/9/09 and am recovering. Had a cervical fusion in 2006.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I am still on pain meds, muscle relaxers (which do not help other than putting me to sleep), and i just asked to be put back on my Prozac. It is amazing how depressed you can get when you are constantly in pain.

And the epidurals did not work, at all, I had two and then told the pain doc that I was not going to do anymore because it causes more pain after getting the epidural than anything.

No tens unit, actually I am not real sure what that even is. I have heard a lot of people talk about them but never seen or used one.

I have been part time at work since i came back from surgery and am now full time as of 8/17/09. It has been pretty intense to say the least. I sit at a computer for 8-9 hours a day. And I take frequent breaks throughout the work day and exercise on a daily basis, at least 40 minutes to an hour a day when I get home from work, but nothing seems to help.

I went to the surgeon about a month ago and he said I still possibly have micro movement where I have not totally fused and that, along with all of my nerve damage, is what is still causing all of the pain. I go back for another follow up 9/18 and am hoping for some answers or at least ask him to do some additional testing, not sure what, or at least see if there is anything else he can do to figure out why I am still hurting.
  • I see the pain management doctor again tomorrow morning. My surgeon thinks I have been on pain meds too long and that they are basically not even really helping with the pain, more or less my body is immune to them, well unless he just keeps putting me on stronger stuff, which with working and having kids is not going to work very well having mommy drugged beyond belief, even though at this point I rather be drugged than in pain anymore.

When I saw the surgeon on 9/18 his last words were "I hope I do not have to operate again and we need to get you back into to see the PM doc", not very encoraging to say the least. He also told me that he thinks after he got my neck aligned/straightened out whatever you want to call it, that something else must be going on and fixing my neck brought on other problems/pains. It is hard to explain but the way I take it is that I have started a domino affect.

The lower back pain is what is really hurting me. I was down for almost three days, did nothing but cry, lay in bed, and sleep, because the pain was so bad. I told my husband that I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. It has been about two weeks since I had that horrible lower back pain and then all of the sudden, here it comes again, ugh. Thank goodness I see the PM doc tomorrow!

I keep telling myself the pain is not forever and I will be pain free one day. I am not sure how much I have convinced myself of this yet... :)
  • Hi Mel,
    Well for one you have a good attitude. Which is so important in dealing with the pain. Hopefully the pm doc will have some answers for you tomorrow. I honestly think it takes about a year to fully recover from the surgery, it just takes so much out of you. Anyway good luck at the doc tomorrow and keep us posted on what he/she says.
  • So I went to the PM doc, who is fabulous by the way :), and he scheduled me for some nerve testing/facet joint, which did not sound too horrible at first. So October 16th I take my valium he prescribed me for the procedure, I was happy as could be after two of them, all the while still thinking nerve testing can not be too bad.... Well, I rather have had my right leg severed from my body!!!! And now I am in so much more pain that I can not even get it under control with my pain meds. Oh and it does not end there :( the doc did not find all of the nerves so I have to go this Friday, October 23rd and have the testing done again! They had to go in on both sides of my neck in three different places and it was pretty painful. Today has been the worst as far as pain. I am trying to stay positive but I am getting to the point where there is no positive anymore. I am tired of taking painkillers, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills to actually sleep a few hours, etc. It is getting overwhelming and sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind because of the constant pain. I am too young for all of this! I should be able to practice sports with my boys or go ride coasters with them and my husband, or do anything and most of the time I can't because I am so wore out from being in pain so much. I have to think about everything I do before I do it to make sure I can handle it, if I walk to long my lower back hurts, if I sit too long my neck and shoulder blades start to hurt, sometimes I do not do anything and it hurts. I do not do a lot anymore because I am afraid I am going to start hurting and just be miserable so I just stay home. I am done venting now. Thanks to all who have given me words of wisdom, encouragement, and hope.
  • OMG, you've been through so much for such a long time that it's no wonder that you need to vent. I know it's cliche and does nothing to help, but I have to say it - hang in there. Friday will be over before you know it and hopefully they'll get the results they need to move forward with your diagnosis.

Have they told you what your next step will be after these latest steps?

• They are going to burn/deaden the nerves that they find are causing the pain. And it is still in the cervical area but before it was just C5&6 and now it is C2,3,&4 and still pain in 5&6, plus pain in my right shoulder blade and middle of my back, not quite sure exactly what level on the lower back. The PM said he is not going to try and determine what is going on with my lower back till we figure out the cervical pain. And like I said before, my neurosurgeons last words were "I really hope I do not have to operate on you again" i guess we will see after this Friday what is going to happen. Lately I have just been getting really depressed. The thought of having to take pain pills every single day to get through the day is making me crazy. I have tried not taking them and I can't because the pain is too much to not take anything. This whole experience has just been extremely frustrating, I am lucky I have good doctors that continue to keep trying to figure out what is wrong and family or I would have lost my mind by now.

And everyone keeps telling me it can take up to a year to heal but I am at seven months and seem to be getting worse and worse, not better.
  • I had 1 done on the 13th of this month. I am having neck fusion surgery in December. I had a really bad experience w/the Myelogram. I had a spinal fluid leak. Plus, it was down right freakin' painful. The entire procedure.
  • I sent you a PM - read it NOW!