Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Herniation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
About 18 months ago, I fell 8 feet and landed firmly on my face, impacting with a concrete floor. I had a MRI and these were the impressions:

1. Small central and right paracentral posterior disc hernation at C4-C5 level, causing mild anterior impression of the thecal sac and mild flattening deformity to the cord. There is no cord impingement or cord impression. Nor foraminal narrowing is seen.

2. Minimal annular disc bulge at C5-C6 level with a small focus of increased signal in the midline and without interval change.

3. Tiny 1 to 2 mm central disc protrusion at C6-C7 level and without any interval change. There is no central or formanial narrowing.

I have had three epidurals done and the pain continues. When seated at my desk, it feeling like someone is impaling my neck with a knife.

The doctor suggested plasma disc decompression, but I did not feel comfortable. There are no long term studies on the procedure.

Today, he told me that there is nothing else that he could do for me and is referring me to a pain doctor. This was a workers comp injury and he gave me a permanent 3 percent disability. He gave me restrictions, but said that it is up to the pain doctor if they are permanent?

The doctor maintains that my injury is minor, and I should be "okay." I have occasional burning pain on my left shoulder and it sometimes feels like my fingers are being pricked with needles. Is it possible to experience radiopathy with my MRI results. My doctor seems to think not!!

My biggest concern is that I am a law enforcement officer. Often times the pain shuts me down to such a degree, I feel that there could be occasions that I could not do my job because of physical pain. I am kidding myself if I think that I can pull a drowning victim from a car or fight with a suspect. Rigorous activity immediately gives me a severe stiff neck. I

Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks

• If I were you I would get a second opinion. If this injury is infringing in your everyday life then it is worth it to seek another point of view. My 1st question is... What kind of Doctor did you see?... 2nd... did he view your films or just read the report? If it were me, I would obtain my films and see a good Neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon for another look. Remember that it is your life that you are dealing with... The Doc ( and he is probably very competent) goes home and can sleep every night.

• Don,

The doctor that I was seeing in an Orthopedic Surgeon. The conflict is that he is a workers comp doctor. He read my films.
  • My experience has been that ortho spine surgeons are not as keyed into the nerve issues presented with cervical problems as a neurosurgeon would be. I had several different docs review my films and while the ortho couldn't see anything, all the neurosurgeons saw red flags galore.

Like Don said, if it is infringing on your daily activities and if it will put you in harms way trying to do your job, then something needs to be addressed.

• with the others, get a 2nd, or as many opinions that makes you feel comfortable. My ortho read my results, but openly admitted/advised that it is better to see a neurosurgeon for a 2nd opinion. I hope that the pain management doc can find you some relief.
    Take care, and good luck!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own