Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi There

I am new to spine-health. I had a microdiskectomy in June of 07 with very positive results. My pain previous traveled down my left leg. I have had a few flare-ups here and there but nothing major. I recently began having severe foot and ankle pain that traveled up into my calf. Severe burning. This is in the right leg. My back has begun to hurt, sciatica pain. It hurts to sit. I thought, o.k. I will go see a foot doctor, something is wrong with my foot. First, they said I had plantar fasciatis. O.k. did a cortisone injection. Did nothing but make my foot hurt worse! Then they did an mri that showed swelling of the ankle and leg, got expensive insoles, more injections, no relief. Also, medrol dose pack. Being the proactive type that I am about health care and knowing that I have had back issues in the past I went to see my back surgeon last week. He ordered an MRI and I told him about the foot thing. Here are the MRI results. Some history on me. I am 37, small so there is no extra weight on the back, i do carry a lot. I work in outside sales, drive a ton!!!! lift about 40 pounds in and out of the car all day long!!! drive 3000 miles per month. Healthy, active adult 5'5 118 pounds with a very active 4 year old daughter. This has come on suddenly and I am in a lot of pain! I do not take anything for the pain, I am suffering through it for now. I need this fixed. I can't live like this. Any advice please???? will this clear on it's own or is this something that I will need a second surgery on? All comments welcome!!!!!!

mri results as follows

central disc protrusion at the l5-s1 level that does not results in nerve root impingement

scar formation surrounding the left s1 nerve root at the left hemilaminotomy site (yes I know this is where they cut me open originally, so i am assuming this is causing irritation on my nerve root?)

• i have had 2 major operations on my back and just refused a third {a fusion} i have loads of pain in my back/leg from the surgery {at the moment i am having a bad flare up}did your surgeon not warn you that your back pain would not go ?? the prime reason for doing back surgery it to free trapped nerves so that you dont loose the use of your legs and bladder etc i was always told that i would be in pain afterwards its not much fun ..yes as the years go on you may require more surgery i was told this after my first surgery they said about ten year then i would require more ...and it was 10 years almost to the day!! it was 19 months since my last surgery and they want me to have more surgery but i am not going through with it as i will be in even more pain ..have you tried ice pack /TENS/ i suggest that you visit you doctors and get some stronger pain killers
  • Hey Thanks! Yes, they told me ten years! but, i am only at 2 years right now. I see the doc for my follow up for my mri results in a few weeks. right now I am taking nothing for the pain. I am just suffering through it. I have a feeling if I want to be comfortable i will have to go the pain management route which i don't really want to do. i have recently switched primary care docs due to insurance change a few months ago so i do not really know my new doctor very well. I have not had to take anything for my back in 9 months or so. I am thinking even ultram at this point. I hate to look like i am asking for anything. We back patients have a fine line, it is always difficult when you are in pain. but, with not sleeping now for over a week and in constant pain, i have to do something at this point. motrin and tylenol are not doing anything and the medrol dose pack did nothing!
  • So sorry for your misery. Definitely, get in to see your doctor so you can get some pain meds to help you through this pain flare up.

I started my journey with sciatic pain last June -- Same thing as you, went to the foot doc because it felt like I was stepping on rocks on the pad of my left foot - had foot surgery in Oct 08 for inflamed nerve as while recuperating developed severe pain behind my left thigh -- turned out to be disc problem. Anyway, I'm glad you have gone to your back doctor so you can see what's going on -- don't want you to have to spend money at the foot doctor when it's your back (maybe) causing the issue.

Are you icing your back? Being in sales and toting stuff in and out of your trunk sounds like a definite back breaker. Be as careful as you can lifting.

I hope for a good outcome for you. Take care.
  • Hey thanks! Yes, i ice and i use heat. Being that i have had a back problem and gone through surgery, i know all the little tricks in the book. Nothing seems to work right now. I see my surgeon in a few weeks. I am sure he will say PT and epidural injection which have never helped in the past but I will try. I need the burning pain to go away. The foot and leg are bothering more then I think the back pain is at this point. I don't want to be drugged up, i do, however, need to function. Back surgery will be a last resort for me! I have already gone through this once, and look, here I am again!!!! by the way, don't have surgery unless you have to! It did work for me, but here I am again!!!! :)