Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Carpal Tunnel Syndrone and Cortisone Injections

DaveNHDDaveNH Posts: 58
Is getting cortisone shots a treatment for CTS?
I did a quick internet search and found very few "hits".
Most hits where surgery solutions.

Has any one had this treatment?

• I can tell you this. I've had cortisone injections in my neck that didn't hurt as bad as those. But the upside is that after it was over my wrist felt 100% better and saved me from having a 3rd surgery on my wrists.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/17/2016 - 2:38 PM
    Can anyone tell me how much the cost would be? I found on the internet that it could cost me at an estimate around $1500 for Carpal Tunnel Release?  I need serious replies only.
  • Hi Dave,

I've had carpal tunnel release done on both hands a few years ago. Steroid injections were never mentioned as an option but I'm going to keep them in mind if my CTS gets any worse because I'm having trouble again.

Nodaddy, sorry, I don't know what the CTS surgery costs. My insurance covered it and that was 12 years ago so fees have no doubt changed since then (as in, gone UP). :O

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • but I had an injection in my wrist this past May. My CTS was getting super bad as I'm a cake decorator and graduation season brings a lot of business and more work for me. My PCP referred me to a neruologist for testing and he suggested I have surgery. I told him it was out of the question temporarily until winter. I knew about steroid injections for CTS because my mother had them. When I asked him about getting an injection he seemed surprised I was aware of the option. He came right out and said not many people know about this. Anyway.....before the injection I was up most of the night in severe hand pain. The mornings were almost hopeless as I couldn't even close my hand. The injection itself was painless. I guess it really matters how its administered. Its important to get the cortisone as close to the nerve as possible without hitting the nerve with the needle. My guy did a great job. Within twenty four hours I was completely pain free. I've made it all the way through summer not waking once because of my hands. Now, three months later, I feel the effects of the injection wearing off. It doesn't last forever, only a temp fix. I'm grateful to have had the option . I know someday I'm either going to have to stop decorating cakes or get the surgery he told me I need.Until then I'll probably get one more injection. Oh and also in my case the injections were covered as part of my office visit. My office co-pay covered the cost. $15 isn't bad for three months of total relief!
  • I ended up going to see a physiatry group and having another EMG. I was told that it's not CTS but ulnar nerve intrapment at my wrist and instead of injections they put these sticky pads with electrodes
    on them and use current to "inject" the medicine.
    They put one pad on my palm and another a few inches up from my wrist. The whole process takes about ten minutes and feels like a burning tingling sensation the entire time.
    I also have a brace to wear at night (which did stop the nightly pain) but don't know what's next on the "to do" list.
    I think I have about 6 visits left and then I don't know what will happen. Maybe the doctor can do the needle injections.
  • After going through a series of patches, the doctor
    finally gave me a cortisone shot into my wrists.
    Three days of pressure and then RELIEF!!!!!
    Relief lasted for two weeks two days. That was a week ago. I went into day for a follow up and thought I could get another couple of shots. Nope, the doc says I can only get the shots, one every three months. Great!!! two weeks of relief with 10 weeks of pain.
    I'll get through it but boy did it feel great not having that pain.
  • and trigger finger. Trigger finger is very similar but it is in my right middle finger. I got 2 injections in my finger that lasted for about 3 months each. I went back a few weeks ago hoping to get another injection. I was told that any injections after 2 could cause the ligament to burst. Needless to say I am having surgery the first week of December. Not sure if it would be the same for the injections to the wrist but you may want to ask.