Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I finally understand "diskectomy"

farmhousefanffarmhousefan Posts: 24
Hi, all.

OK, another thing my angel PT explained to me...

I've been through two diskectomies (L5/S1) and always pictured them as this: the "jelly doughnut" that was my disk had herniated and the jelly had squished out into the spine and was pressing on the nerve. So the doc went in and removed the jelly that was floating around in there.

In thinking of it like this, I thought there was a big hole in the disk and that's why it has reherniated every two years.

The PT explained that the annulus (the outer part of the disk) is made up of many many layers of ligaments and is super tough. More like a steel belted radial tire! So my herniation wasn't like there was disk nucleus floating around. It was that the disk was squished out past the vertibrae and pressing on the nerve. The doc then shaved off some of the annulus.

So this made me believe that it is technically possible for a disk to "go back in".

I just thought I'd share this. I consider myself fairly intelligent and well educated on my back, so this was a big revelation and has provided me with some comfort.

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments