Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

supplements, vitamin, minerals

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Has anyone had any relief from taking supplements for their DDD? If so what are you taking?

• I can't say whether supplements have taken away any of my pain, but I can say that they do make me feel better in a general overall condition. I take Magnesium Oxide, Calcium with Vit D, Folic acid, Zinc and a good multi-vitamin. The neurologist started me on the Calcium years ago since it is known that anti-seizure meds block calcium absorption. The Magnesium Oxide I was started on after a few surgeries and I found a nice little side benefit to it, was helping heal all the scarring in my veins from all the IV's. The Zinc helps healing especially wound healing and the Folic Acid was added a few months back.

I was traveling all April and May and there were several weeks where I missed taking all or most and I could tell a big difference.

Don't know if this info is of any help to you, but figured I'd let you know my experience.

My husband takes Glucosamine and when he misses a few doses, it like he goes back to square one. If he stays on track, it really helps him out with knee, wrist and back pain.

• Sounds great. I am looking to start a healthy lifesytle. I am hoping it will help my back at least a little.
  • they work and really help those with a broken metabolism like patients with fibromyalgia. I start people on higher doses of omega 3, resveratrol and Goji juice. Check with your own surgeon on what they recommend. Unfortunately this is an area where spine surgeons are truly not as up to date as they need to be. The recent data on leptin research and muscle uncoupling proteins is ridiculous important to anyone contemplating surgery.

Sometimes I add other antioxidents if the clinic picture requires it. The list of nutraceuticals I add for those with fibromyalgia is even more extensive because their energy metabolism is completely ceased up
  • Thanks for the info. Nice to see you again.