Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

physio making things much worse?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi, I'm now 5 weeks post microdiscectomy and have degenerative verabrae at level l5/s1.My question is I'm doing physio excersises and they are making the pain in my back so much worse( it feels like I've never hade surgery).Is this a normal process before I start improving?I dont see my physio again till the 30th and cant get a hold of him to ask whether to load myself with more oxycodone and carry on with them or to stop them.Any ideas?
thanks folks xx

• It's never a good idea to load up on more pain meds just to do PT. Generally (not always) a good rule of thumb that is used in PT, is that if your pain that is brought on or exacerbated by the PT resolves overnight then it's fairly normal. If it doesn't resolve and/or it continues to get worse, that's not normal. If you can't get in touch with your Physio, can you get in touch with your surgeon. Since the surgeon ordered the PT, if he feels it's hurting you he will make his recommendation as to whether to stop or continue at a lighter pace.

• thank you for that.I got a hold of my physio in the end and he said the same.I'm having a couple of rest days(in too much pain) before I start the lighter exersises again and when I see him again on the 30th hes going to give me different ones to do on an exersise ball.He said he could give me a belt but would rather not as it stops your spine moving and that wont help any.Sounds like heaven to me!lol
  • I'm glad that you were able to get in touch with your physio. Please let us know how it goes after the rest and starting on the lighter exercises.