Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Cure

araineaaraine Posts: 151
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Was excersize! And still is!

The human body is an amazingly complex system of bones, joints, muscles, and nerves, designed to work together to accomplish one thing: motion. Remember that motion is life. Everything about the human body is designed with motion in mind: nerve fibers stimulate the muscles to contract, muscles contract to move the bones, bones move around joints, and the nerve system controls it all.

Lack of motion has a detrimental affect on everything from digestion to our emotional state, immune function, our ability to concentrate, how well we sleep and even to how long we live. If your lifestyle does not include enough motion, your body cannot function efficiently. First, you will not be as physically healthy and will suffer from a wide variety of physical ailments, ranging from headaches to high blood pressure. Second, you will not be as productive in your life because of reduced energy levels and the lack of ability to mentally focus. Third, because you have less energy, your activity level will tend to drop off even further over time, creating a downward spiral of reduced energy and less activity until you get to a point where even the demands of a sedentary job leave you physically exhausted at the end of the day.

This is the biggest thing I keep telling everyone in their posts that I strongly feel would make a detrimental difference on your lives. Excersize can make a world of a difference, even if it hurts SO freaking bad at first, it pays off in the long run.

• I would have to agree that exercise has helped me emensely. Back when I first hurt my disc L5-S1 I was not put on a physical therapy program and it took 3 years to feel normal again. This last time I went to physical therapy and was shown all kinds of safe exercises for someone with my disc issues and have continued all of the exercises and after months instead of years I felt better.

Can you believe I was out sanding my deck for 6 hours the other day and then staining for 8 hours and no soreness at all. My muscles aren't even sore at all. I know it's from all of the exercising I have been doing in the last year. I've conditioned my body to be able to do things like that and not get hurt.

Plus with the physical therapy I had I know how to move my body now in a way when doing things with proper form so it doesn't put strain on the discs and damage them.

Also stretching every day helps a lot too. But all of this a qualified physical therapist should be showing how to exercise properly so someone doesn't end up hurting themselves worse by doing it improperly.
  • I also wanted to add I went on a 1 hour and 45 minute bike ride on my mountain bike a couple weeks ago and felt fine after that. It was a smooth trail though very few bumpy spots. One thing which used to be hard is whenever going over a bump I hold myself up so I'm not sitting down on the bike when going over a bump to make sure my lower back doesn't take the hit from the bump. All of the leg weight lifting and exercise ball has made this task easy when I'm bike riding. Bike riding in general used to be hard but not with muscles in my legs now.
  • I play basketball at least 3 times a week with a couple of my buddies after work. I'm 43 years old, so it takes a toll on my knees and back. I'm no longer that young kid at the park that can play for hours! I used to do regular stretching with no emphasis on my back. I went to my doctor and he said that I have to stretch it out more. He recommended a back stretching program off of a mat called G2 Fitness Back Stretch. It has helped me tremendously and I can workout for longer periods now. I dunno, it helped me out so I might as well try to help others. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you as well. Good luck!