Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg and foot still numb/ surgery in Feb 09 discetomy at L5/S1

spssp Posts: 18
Went to surgeon after another MRI and says the nerve is swollen. Also told me before MRI that a new nerve would probably have to grow and it starts at the center of your back. Anyone have any answers< I want to be back to somewhat normal again.

• Hi, I had a laminectomy, foramintomy and facetectomy at L5 S1 Jan. 2009, and I still have swelling. I ice, alot, and walk, and go to PT, and still have trouble with sitting, and will see the Dr. next month. I have been told it takes 6 to 9 months, maybe longer. Do you have any swelling on the outside? I do, so they say, what I see on the outside, is on the inside too. So, the nerve and muscles really let me know at the end of the day, that they are pretty mad!! Are you doing any PT and stretching? It really helps. How long does the Dr. say for things to settle down for you? I had a severe compression for 1 year, so I try not to overdo, and be patient, but it really is hard! Nerves heal at about 1mm a day, so it really is slow. sweetpotatoe57
  • sp....I had a L5S1 discectomy in March 08. I had numbness in my calve and foot...The doc kept telling me it takes a long time for the nerves to heal...I din't think the numbness would ever go away..but it did...after about 1 yr..it is gone..woo hoo. Be patient and I'm older so it takes longer to heal. Sure yours will soon..
  • had micro done 11-13-08 still have tingling in back calf nad esp big toe at times. Had severe herniation and foot drop. foot stregth is almast back to full but not quite there. My doc said same thing nerves tsake a long time to heal hang in there i use ice and realy streatch twice aday if i stay streatched it keeps tingling down to almost nill good healin
  • Some re-assuring comments here. Had 2 discs replaced L3-L4 and L4-L5 4 weeks ago and the pain and sciatica has been worse then before. To make matters worse I've also spoken to people who reckon they had immediate relief. Have been living on Tramadol for over a year and a half (had to wait 19 months for surgery)so am desperately hoping that the pain will subside in time. Sitting is still very uncomfortable.
  • after interbody cage slipped and my leg pain is getting worse ??

Numbness / hypersensitive, no real changes to report, nerves flare when I have bowels open and today I can barely lift my leg due to a crampy tight pain.

My hope is that this all means signs of recovery, but I don't know. I hope your recovery is better than mine.
    Chin up and hold hope in your hearts!
  • My husband had a laminectomy on L3-4 November of 08 & had a complication of CSF leakage thanks to the surgeon. His numbness on his leg & toes were still there after the surgery-no immediate relief. Delt with the CSF leak headaches up until April 09-had a blood patch done & immediately switched doctors in May for alternative treatment-lost faith in conventional treatment-they only want to give you pills. Went to an OSTEOPATHIC DOCTOR who changed his diet to reduce inflammation of the nervous system to give nerves a hand in recovery-slowly weaned off pain medication (hardest part)-incorporated swimming-juicing-myofascial treatment-PT & massage. His numbness is gone- he is narcotic free-lost weight and is gaining core strength to help strengthen the back. In april we were looking at a 3rd surgery because there was no relief but thank goodness we decided to take control of his health and consulted others for an alternative..very grateful we did..3rd surgery no longer needed and he hasn't felt this good in over 10 yrs..GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RECOVERY BUT CONSULT AN OSTEOPATHIC DOCTOR-VERY MUCH WORTH EVERY PENNY-
  • When you say wanting to be "somewhat normal" again, are you not able to work, socialize, or drive, etc?

I wouldn't say I am back to normal or "before back pain" level but I am now able to drive, visit my friends, go on short trips. The tingling nerve pain still haunts me when I sit longer than 30-60 min. Lifting object heavier than 10 lbs, resuming previous exercise regime (like power yoga), doing routine housework are off limits right now.

Like your surgeon said, nerve heals really slow. I have to remind myself of that. Are you seeing a physical therapist? I still see one and having her reassure me when I have small setbacks makes feel more confident. And prevents me from calling my surgeon because my physical therapist is able to give me answer and in a couple of days I see an improvement. I see her twice a week.

Good luck. I think it is still too early.
  • It had disectomy in april and still feeling nerve pain and i felt the nerve would never recover but last few days the pain has been improving, from chatting to people on here it seems the nerves take quite a while to recover from being pinched etc. so hang in there, you'll start to feel some normality soon :)