Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back pain-Spinal fusion L4-L5

bailey1bbailey1 Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
:W Hi all! I've been coming into chat for some time now, and have meet several new people I can call friends. and they have always wanted me to kind of give my story. for those who have talked with me U all know I am going through a work comp issue and have been for several years now but I thought sense I can't sleep right now I would take a moment and kind of give my short story..

Well first off sorry for my lousy spelling but here goes..

Ok so Years ago I was working and had injured myself on the job that I had been working for, for about 4 years with no problems. I had told them about the injurey but continued to work, Well the next morning I woke up very early and couldn't get out of bed. I woke up some friends for help and told them what was going on. I had severe pain in my low back,down my leg and into my groin. I called my boss at and told him/her that I needed to go to the hospital to get checked out that I was in severe pain.. So they sent me to the Hospital. where they done X-ray and said it was a simple pulled muscle. YEAH THEY ALL SAY THAT!! But a week had passed and I was still having lots of daily pain. I told my boss this so they sent me to a neuro doc. where he then sent me for MRI a few weeks had passed after that and I had a follow up. He read me off the symptoms of L2-L3 L3-L4 2mm Buldge L4-L5 8mm buldge DDD which most of know is commen with most spinal injurey. Well after this time I was still unable to return to work and kept calling the work comp company to see where they were with my case.. well after about 3 months later they say there denying the case.. I felt like my life was ending by that time. 3 months behind on all my bills and Fearing I was about to lose my house vehicle and everything, I called a lawyer... He told me that I should come in for a visit. So I did! Afer I left his office we had a court hearing set about 2 months later for a hearing and such. in the mean time nothing is being done for me no docs no meds no nothing.. I was crying myself to sleep most nights.. and to throw all this out there my GF of about 5 years left me, Yeah! I just started to feel like my life was over. I had my court hearing and won of course. I don't see how a company could deny someone who had been working for them for 4 years with no kind of problems with pain or anything try to deny it but they just want there money.. So a month later I seen a new surgeon and he redon my MRI same symptoms showed. Well they wanted to try me on therapy and injectiosn shots before they would consider surgery. So I agreed to that. and started therapy and such the following week.. well time went on almsot 1 1/2 years and still no change so they gave the approval for an L4-L5 spinal fusion.. that was done in 2008. I recovered very well, started therapy about 2-3 months later was doing everything I was supposed to do.. walking therapy stretches and what not.. Well I had went back to work for a short time when I was just standing there and started to have more low back and leg pain. I called my doc and he took me back off work and started more therapy. he thought maybe I went back to work to early or something im not sure. but anyway to make an even longer story shorter, The work comp company has attempted seferal times to deny random things at random times rather it be meds or payments, I've had to go to court 3 times already for theses things. I've always said if I didn't have to deal with work comp company I might not be so depressed. I'm still out of work and contine to have low back pain the leg pain has gotten much better.. just had a facet injection done but didn't help any. I don't sleep much I stay depressed all the time, I can't have a normal relationship with a lady because of sexual reasons I feel useless half the time. I live with family that ask me often to go out and do things with them, but I always decline the offers.. I just know the more I do the more I hurt and I'm tired of hurting... I just wish sometimes they could really understand how I felt and not make comments when I go outside to stretch or what not. like OO LOOK WHO DECIDED TO JOIN US TODAY. things like that really get to me, but I just keep quiet cause I have so much on me right now I think I might just snap if I say something to them. I know anyone who has dealt with daily pain knows how I feel. It's hard to find people to relate to our feelings unless u have been there.

I hope I haven't bored u to much,, I'm sure there is more I could have covered but it would have taken to long to go cover to much.. I want to thank u for taking time to read my horror story. Please feel free to leave idea on what's next or anthing..

• hello john your story sounds just like mine. i got hurt on the job and worked the rest of the day and the next morning i couldnt get up or dressed. so my hubby helped me up just so i could go to Dr. the differences is the drs keep me in work for about 7 months till i couldnt deal with it anymore. i had to get a lawyer also and yes workers comp will get to you real fast. they dont care how you feel just as long as they can do what they want with you. dont want to pay for anything. i know what you are going through i have been going through it for about 3 years now. i had my fusion back in april of this year and i am not healing the way the dr said i should be. i will start pool PT next month. i am hopeing that PT will help me. i am sick of being stuck while everyone else can do whatever it is. i am blessed to have a family that is supporting me in anyway they can. but sometimes that doesnt help knowing if you do something you are going to hurt even more for days. so i am here for you if you need someone to vent too. good luck and i hope you get better. hope to hear from you soon.
    theresa aka krazyangel
  • thanks so much for ur kind words,, It feels good to know that there r others out there with u and ur not alone. and yes it really is sad when u watch all ur friends and family go out to have a good time and ur stuck inside the house because u know how bad u will hurt if u do anything. Water therapy seemd to do ok for me. just helped not put as much strain on my leg when I was doing that. I go back to see my surgeon on Thurday and I'm hoping he will just put me on disability so I can settle with w/c and move on with my life, and continue to try to find new ways for pain free days in the future, but for the time being I know I'm unable to work so there isn't any real reason to prolong the disability. I'm sure that is the last thing my surgeon want's to tell me, in some way I think he feels like he has failed me. but he can't control the pain. I think he done his best to help me but I think there is just perm nerve damage and not much u can do.. I am goign to ask if maybe he would consider a stimulater to put in or just something that might help other than just saying keep with ur pm doc and see what he says and so on. but thanks again,,

Keep in touch.. Bailey
  • i know how you feel with the work then. i was already told that i will not beable to do the kind of work i was doing. i was a forklift driver and there is no way that i can load and unload trucks that is way to painful. i still cant stand or sit for periods of time. hell i cant lay down but for about a hour or two at a time. i have forgot what a good night sleep or rest is. i have been stuck sleeping on a recliner and that is fun. I know that i will never be the same. so i just say what is done is done and lets see what we kind do for me to beable to at least go to family get togethers. i do know that somewhere down the line we are going to have to at least try to figure something out. i dont know how much more i can take of watching everyone else do things while i am just stuck in pain. hope everything gets better for you. hope to hear from you soon. krazyangel
This discussion has been closed.