Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here-SI joint dysfunction or Herniation causing pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi new here, but not new to pain. My biggest issue is that no one can figure out truly where my pain is coming from. And unfortunately because my most recent issues are from a car accident and workers comp, I don't feel I am getting a whole comprehensive inspection.

See, I fell in 2002 10 feet from a ceiling onto my garage floor and broke my pelvis in two spots. At that time, my back was never even looked at, as the fracture was the main concern. Well in 2005 I had some back pain and discovered a small herniation in L5-S1. P/T helped and I was fine until in 2007, I was rearended on the job after I quickly braked (I only bring this up because I think this is the cause of the SI joint pain). After an MRI it was discovered that I had a large central disk herniation touching the S1 nerve root.Along with rt side SI pain, I also have a lot of pain in my right buttock and down the right leg.

I went through P/T (32 sessions) a cortizone injection, an SI injection, and a series of 3 ESI. All without success. Although, in the few hours that my entire right thigh was numb during the SI injection, I felt pretty good.

My doctor would like to do a microdiscectomy. I first refused and tried nothing (to wait it out) , then tried klonopin (horrible horrible drug)and now I just don't know what to do.

OF COURSE Workers comp is denying the surgery and has sent me to two IME'S (which is a joke, how can they be independent medical exams when the stupid insurance company picks the doctor) and the second doctor was against surgery and the third said nothing to me.

That being said, I will most likely move forward with my own insurance, but my biggest concern is that I am afraid the SI joint is as much a problem as the disc.

I am sure there are others in my same position...

Has anyone had the surgery and realized it was the SI or can they go hand in hand? Is there a more sure way to diagnose the two as appearantly they seem to have similar symptoms?

I would appreciate any avice or stories
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome! There has been a little speculation that some of my pain might be from my SI joint. I had a two level (L4-S1) disc removal and fusion in January. So far, no bone growth in the center.

Good luck. I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i do hope you find some answers to your questions.. :? good luck as you move forward with pain relief! :D Jenny :)