Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First I went through a unimginable flair up that last 27 days

jj-from montrealjjj-from montreal Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Depression and Coping
Now I'm in a indescribable situation. I’m always the one that other come to when they are in bad shape. I always manage to pull them out of it. Now I find my self in a down ward spiral, everything is negative I don’t feel like doing anything, especially with others. I just want to be left alone. There is no one in my extended family I could vent to because they are all involved in my life and they would be negatively affected by my words. Am I just going through a temporally flame out period, or should I be checking in for a tune up. I used to have my own business, had the life most people dream of now i volunteer helping the elderly. Some days I think back and start to feel really sad. May be its because I feel so useless compared to what I used to be able to do. I always tell my self other which much greater disabilities get through the day I should shut up and be thank full for what I have. Any Ideas on how I get out of this toxic situation I’m in???

• It's rough you're going through this time of missing your past life and mourning what should've been. I've found an antidepressant has helped me a little but understand what you feel. Taking it one day at a time may be hard to limit yourself to but makes it easier to get through it. Looking after the elderly is such a wonderful thing to do. Look at the positives in yourself and it's helped me also. Positive affirmations can help. See my signature link. Changing the negative thoughts into positive may help. I will remember you in a prayer also. Take care and hugs too. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • jj.......take a deep breath..just let it go let it all gooooooo, its not your fault jj, i mean you didnt ask for this, i think you normally deal brillantly with your situation, maybe your just a little down and hey thats ok...its ok for you to feel like that, you are a strong character jj and you will come through this >:D< you will live to fight another day lol, dont be too hard on yourself, I know what you mean about the part of thinking of what you used to do, i do that all the time and then i have to stop and think right this is where im at its not the past that counts its the present, we cant change the past even prophets couldnt do that, hope your feeling a little better jj, thinking and praying for you!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    George Harrison knew what he was saying when he wrote that song.
    jj, believe me I know as so do many other members here, that setbacks and flareups happen. Many times we cant figure out why they happen. Some may last only a few days and like what you are going through now, many last a long time.
    When these problems do last more than a couple of weeks, generally some type of medically intervention is warranted. If anything just to verify what is going on and perhaps providing some action to get you over the flare up.
    Its one thing dealing with they physical part of flareups. As spinal patients, I think we've come to accept pain and discomfort, we dont like it, we dont want it, but we know we have to deal with it to some extent.
    But the emotional toll this takes is another thing.
    Its depressing, especially when you were doing good at one point and now a flareup. It brings you back months. Its gloomy, and for many being alone helps.
    But I can say one thing, any downward spiral starts easily and can continue to go downhill so fast. Almost to the point where it becomes so difficult to climb up.
    Before it does sink that low, no matter how difficult it may be, you need to raise up take a positive outlook and know that YOU will beat this flare up. Its NOT going to take the better of you.
    It is amazing what we can do once we set our minds
    to doing it.
    Take care, good luck, and remember we are here to help
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sometimes it seems we must just look for the way out of our funk and hope we will recognize it when we see it.

I find for me it is often just a matter of a change in the way I do things. I need something to nudge me into a different pattern.

I've been a bit stuck myself....Tired of chasing rainbows, now just looking for an umbrella I guess.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    It sure would be a nice treat that instead of needing an umbrella, you found that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    How knows? It does happen
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com