Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf c5/6

swaynesswayne Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi there i was wondering, after fusion is the neck rigid or do you still have movement as before ie side to side and up and down cheers

• Hi Wayne. My ROM is great turning left and right, somewhat limited up and down, and very limited tilting left and right.

• hi cath thanks for that i was a bit worried about driving after surgery although i do think i may be better with a diffrent job anyway.
    i noticed about you having sciatica i get that in my right leg/hip i had it a few weeks ago while i was at work it was complete agony and as i was in london i had to drive home with it about 250 miles it was horrible.
    i hope all goes well on 1st july.
  • I had three cervical disc removed. After surgery, you would be in a neck brace for maybe a month to allow things to set up. After surgery, it took some time for me, but I have pretty good motion now with just some minor limitations. I do try to not push it because I know that puts pressure on other areas.
  • I only used my soft collar for the first week, and really only for a few activities. After the first week, my boyfriend had his back go out, so I had to drive him to the ER. I didn't take my collar and did fine, although a bit stiff.

My ROM for the first month was sore, but I could still move nearly as well as I could before the surgery. I had the same surgery as you, by the way.

It's been 3 months now and I have great ROM nodding and side-to-side. Going forward is fine, going back is a bit sore. If I dry my hair with my head flipped over and then come back up to fast I'll get a twinge. Other than that, I move just like I used to.
  • Hi,

I did not need to wear a soft collar after surgery, but was not allowed to drive for 6 weeks. My range of motion is difficult side to side, especially to the left.

Best wishes to you....

• cheers for the replies its very calming to hear from people who are doin well after surgery cheers