Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from new indecisive member

undermountainuundermountain Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm new here and have been enjoying reading all the posts. I have seen four surgeons in the past four months who all recommended a different approach for my cervical disc problem at C5 - C7. I am trying to decide between a neurosurgeon who wants to do a corpectomy and an orthopedic surgeon who thinks that is overkill and wants to do an ACDF at two levels. I'm tempted to go with the ortho because it sounds less invasive but want be sure that whatever I do is successful. I'm having left arm numbness and some intermittent pain in my left leg. I've had the numbness for years.

Any advice is welcome.

• The deciding factor (as I know it) as whether to do a Corpectomy or an ACDF is vertebrae damage. In other words, if the vertebrae itself is beyond repair do to injury or disease process...then a Corpectomy is the preferred procedure. If there's no (or little) vertebrae damage, then an ACDF to remove the bad disc and fuse the appropriate vertebrae is chosen.

Perhaps if you ask the NS about why he thinks a corpectomy versus an ACDF is warranted...he might tell you something along those lines.

In either case, I hope it works out for you and that it brings relief. Take care -

• The NS said that I have some spinal cord compression behind my vertebrae but none of the other three doctors I consulted noticed that. Oh well. I hope you are recovering nicely from your ACDF.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. well, you have certainly gotten more than one opinion... :? good for you!! =D> now it is your job, to sort through their diagnosis and do your homework..be sure and count in your personal feelings about each doctor. in other words, did you feel you were in good hands?? would he answer your questions? take time to answer your phone calls? did he seem truly concerned? i hope you find some help here on SH. :D i have no answers for you but be sure and read the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for some more input.. good luck and keep us informed!! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the good advice. I have now decided to go with the ACDF with the ortho spine surgeon. I feel good about the decision and can't wait until the surgery is over!
  • Happy you feel good about your decision, but curious: What was the deciding factor?

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• I was having trouble deciding but ultimately chose the doctor whose surgery recommendation was less extensive. Also, he just operated on my mother-in-law's lower back this week and she immediately felt relief from terrible pain she was having.

Now I just need to enjoy the next month before surgery without becoming obsessively worried.
  • Just keep yourself occupied with doing things you love (that you can still do :D ) It will get harder and harder to keep your mind off things as the time approaches, but know we are here for you when you need us!