Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need for a Bed Wedge Pillow + ACDF?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone -

I am scheduled for ACDF on July 29th, and I have been reading alot about getting a bed wedge pillow.

I will have on a collar, I am assuming it will be a soft one - but the dr has not confirmed that as of yet. I will either be measured the day of pre-admission tests or at my home (again not sure what one).

I do have four children from 12-6, and I am trying to prepare myself.

The ACDF will be for C4/C5, and I am 5'3 not sure if you needed to know that or not - sorry :/

I just want to make sure that I am comfy when I come home, I do not have a recliner so it is just my bed and couch in the den.

Any suggestions would be great! :)))

• i i have been in pain now for over 15 years and in that time i have spent thousands on various pain reliving gadgets and beds ..most of them are rubbish .so if you want my advice for things that don help here goes.
    as for beds if you can afford it go for an electrically adjustable be with a pocket sprung and memory foam combination mattress {dont go for a solid memory foam matres as they are far to hard for back problems } the adverts show a healthy young woman with a normal back ache IE no surgery jumping out of her bed in the morning pain free ..yer rite!! for those of us with genuine back problems and chronic pain a combination mattress is the best ..if you live in the UK go to sleepmasters and order the sensor foam revolution {we have a pair of them with a 6 ft hard wood head board and it just looks like a normal nice bed but my wife and i have dual control so we can adjust our side if the bed without upsetting the other person ..its a god send .the bed is made by a high quality company called velda and you can get velda world wide but they cost a lot of money about the same as a tempur {we also have a top of the range tempur bed } but its in the spare bed room as its far too hard and a nightmare to get off in the morning.if you want a good chair to sit in get a celebrity Hampton rise and recline recliner {mine is on order} and for the pain an acticare TENS unit is about the best .i have given you the best equipment for you to google .dont make the mistakes that i have made over the years and bye cheap stuff as you wont be satisfied with it .the velda bed from velda is called the pro flex 30 and the mattress is called the pocket spring body print if you want any more info please email me on tony.beer1@googlamil.com
  • Hi!...good luck with your surgery...I am 3 months post-op from acdf c5-7...The bed wedge is a good idea...it would be better if you had a recliner...you will certainly need someone to help you out of bed. A couple of other things you will want to have: bendy straws...even if you are only in a soft collar and ice packs..I'm sure you've read where you will have a really "sore throat"..that should improve over 2-3 weeks. If you have to be in a car...you'll need a pillow there to support your head and neck..take with you to the hospital...if you have other questions...let me know...ok to PM, good luck, Olivia
  • Best of luck with surgery.
    I bought my first wedge pillow at Bed Bath N Beyond, but it's to small, I found one that I like better at Brylane Home online, it also has a vibrator which I haven't used. It is much larger and only about $35, you can use it 2 different ways, to lay on or to sit against. I would ask your doctor if it's okay just to be on the safe side.
    Good luck.

• Best of luck with surgery.
    I bought my first wedge pillow at Bed Bath N Beyond, but it's to small, I found one that I like better at Brylane Home online, it also has a vibrator which I haven't used. It is much larger and only about $35, you can use it 2 different ways, to lay on or to sit against. I would ask your doctor if it's okay just to be on the safe side.
    Good luck.

• I bought a wedge pillow before surgery but couldn't use it post op...it was too firm and just uncomfortable.

What worked for me was a variety of pillows layered at various angles. I spent about two weeks sleeping on the couch, and then was finally feeling good enough to sleep in bed.

Can't say I've gotten a good night's sleep since surgery...that's been one of my biggest challenges so far.

Best of luck to you...
  • Hi I wish you good luck with Surgery, I am 23 days post ACDF C5-C7. I went to a local Medical Supply Store 5 days after surgery. They have a really huge supple of pillows , wedges and thing to try and look at. I like most spent my first 5 days or so on the sofa, or in a recliner. It was so hard to get in a good position. I have a hard Aspen COllar 24/7 I can only remove for shower/shave. I have to wear it for at least 4-6 weeks. Most of my pain was between the shoulders due to the hyper-extension of my neck during surgery which lasted 5 1/2 hours. Swallowing is still some what an issue but it's getting better, that's from the esophegus being moved for surgery. The pillow I found at the SUpply Store looks kind of like a horse shoe. This pillow has helped me so much. If you have more question please contact me. Make sure post OP to follow all discharge instruction to the " T " no matter how good you feel don't over do it. WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK is one of the best things for you. I walk around 2 miles per day and when it rains I just walk around the house as much as possible. Walking helps so many different things.
  • I had 5 pillows on my bed, so I could position them to support, legs, arms, neck, etc. Worked for me. I bought a very expensive custom u-shaped bed pillow with arms, supposed to be great. Thankfully they guaranteed it, because it was a piece of cr**. As for the recliner, to this day I can't use mine. If I recline it long enought to watch an hr and half program, my neck muscles are screaming. Some people swear by them, I swear at them. I slept in my bed from the day I got out of the hospital. I did have my daughter's help for a few days laying down and getting up.

A supply of soft foods like applesauce, ice cream, yoghurt, etc. would be good to have on hand. As well as some movies and books.

The worst of my pain was gone in about a week, but don't overdo things and follow your surgeons orders. Good luck.

• I've posted this before, this was my favorite thing post-op for me. I called it my adult sippy cup:

Good luck with your surgery!
  • Hi everyone -

thanks for your input, I did talk to my dr and he said it would be a great idea to have the wedge pillow. He also said that sleeping flat is not a good idea, and having my neck/back supported is best.

At this point and time, I am waiting to see if my surgery date is going to change --- my dr is going away Aug 1st and he wants me to know he will be there after the surgery..............so needless to say things are up in the air.
  • I bought a travel pillow U shaped from crackle barrel and its very comfy. It was 11.99. I use it every night for support. Just had a cervical laminectomy 6/9/09. Pillow is very soft too.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I bought one and rarely used it. I used multiple pillows or zonked out in the recliner.

Now a days I use the smallest pillow to keep my head level with the body. I do use a dogbone pillow when traveling or driving long distance.
  • Hi,
    I had C5-6 fusion two weeks ago so I can give you an idea of how it went for me. I came home the day after surgery (with a hard collar) and found I was most comfortable sitting in a recliner. I tried sleeping in it and woke up halfway through the night and went up to my bed. I slept much better! I had one pillow under my head and two under my knees and slept flat on my back (normally sleep on side). I did this until I saw the doctor nine days after surgery and it never bothered my neck. After the visit, I no longer needed to sleep with the collar. The doc said a wedge may help, but to see what worked for me. From that night on I have been able to sleep back on my side with the usual pillow I've had. I've had no pain whatsoever (and I was really nervous the first night).

All said, the recovery has been sooo much easier than I ever imagined. I've never been in "pain" since the moment I woke up in recovery. I only took pain meds the first couple of days for discomfort and after a week I needed just an occasional Tylenol. I can move my neck pretty well two weeks out. I'm so glad I had it done and am amazed every day at uneventful it's been.

Best of luck to you!!