Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Introduction...

ibivyiibivy Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Good evening. I've spent a bit of time reading through posts on this site and have enjoyed the input and openness of experiences members have shown.

I'm a 28 year old female, active, good health, non-smoker... Long history of lower back pain which began including leg pain/numbness, foot drop & muscular atrophy of the left leg about 5 months ago. Diagnostics (X-rays, MRI, discography) have shown herniation at L4/5 level, disc degeneration, spinal arthritis and a sacralization of left pelvis. Over the last 6 months the pain has gone from daily 1-4 on a 1-10 scale to daily 7-9 with intermittent immobility. Medication is currently Oxycodone & Tramadol, but receive very little relief from either or the combination of the two. I've gone through a few years of physical therapy, spinal decompression, acupuncture, homeopathic medicine (I used to be in the medical field and am very biomedically-minded... I have been desperate), and epidural injections. No relief. Surgery is scheduled for July 22nd (microdiscectomy), but I'm currently having scheduling issues and hope to have a facet injection prior to the surgery, although neither doctors nor myself really believe it'll help.

I appreciate this forum and the helpful place that this holds for many.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and Welcome!! :D Glad you decided to join our dis-jointed (pun) group! Be sure to check out the post surgical must haves stickied in the surgery forum, and I always suggest my own: soap on-a-rope, something I wished I had (instead I used two bars in the shower!)

Anyway, I want to wish you luck in your upcoming surgery, and a speedy recovery!

>:D<
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. why are your doctors so negative about a facet injection?? :? you need some positive thinking! =D> anything to prevent surgery is a great thing!! i do hope that works for you.. :D you sound like you have tried lots of things but you did not mention massage or Yoga?? just a thought! :? good luck and drop by anytime.. :D i look forward to reading your posts.. Jenny :)
  • :H Welcome to the forum! You have found a great place to freely share your thoughts (good or bad) and gleen a lot of advice from others like you who have been through surgery.

I'm so sorry for your pain ~X( I know the toll it takes on you both physcially and emotionally. I'm on tramadol and oxy also and when the pain is at levels 7 to 9, it surely doesn't help much, just takes the edge off. I find hot showers, ointments, heating pads and ice packs give me the most comfort while I wait out a pain flare.

I'm so optimistic for you that your July surgery will help you lower your pain levels at get back to a more normal life.

Best of luck to you and drop a post anytime. We are all here for you. :)

Judy
  • SOOOO SORRY u r facing all this pain!! I was 18 when I was first diagnosed w/ RDDD (rapid degenerative disc disease)and had as u several injections, therapy, hollistic meds...etc...just know that here on this site you will encounter 100's if not 1000's that are going threw the same as you.
    We are all here to share our stories and keep each other updated on how we are making it threw day to day! I had my discectomy when I was 25 and have had 4 more surgeries since then. I am 33 and am understanding what you are going threw. I have been there!! Just know I am praying for you and I hope you get relief soon!!
  • hi...glad you found us. we are all suffers like you looking for help and we know how you feel...isn't it so frustrating. i hope the disk surgery goes well. you will always find support here. please keep us posted and best of luck
    O:) pete
advertisement